Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MN Offroading @ "Gravel Pits" 12JUN04

This June 12th in Minnesota some people will be getting together to do some offroading. There is a guy with some land south of Northfield that the lets ppl drive on. Just pay him $10 for the day or $30 for the year. The grounds are whats left of an old gravel pit I belive. Have not been there myself yet. Suposidly the terrain is easy to moderate. Seen pictures of stock vehicles there having fun. I'm sure there are some other harder areas though.

Some guys from the MN-Jeep msg board will be there. Hopefully the nice ones and not the lame 'its a jeep thing you wouldnt understand' dorks. This is pretty informal so bring your own food and drink. Prolly meet up after 1:00 at the pits.

Here are some directions. Let me know if they are unclear as I didnt make them. I'll post back with more info later. GOtta run to my surgery and I'm already running late!

Gravel_pits_RoysPlayground.GIF

I did up some other maps. These are a little more zoomed in and the path is marked by an orange line. There are also comments in blue text on the images.

Get on HWY 35 and go to the Northfield / HWY 19 exit (South if you are comming from Minneapolis/St. Paul) There is a Big Steer truck stop at the exit; cant miss it!

roys_playground01.jpg

Go East on HWY 19 towards Northfield (this would be on the other side of HWY 35 from the Big Steer) and it will lead right into town. At the first big stoplight in town go South (right) on HWY 3.

roys_playground02.jpg

Stay on HWY 3 south untill you get to County Road (CR) 20. Youll know you are near CR20 when HWY 3 goes from 4 lanes into 2 lanes. Take a Left onto CR20 and youll be heading south again.

roys_playground03.jpg

Take CR20 south untill you come to CR29. The sign for CR29 is hard to see untill you are right on it. Take a left onto CR29 and you are there! Should be pretty easy to notice Roy's Playground. He owns the first farm on the right.

roys_playground04.jpg

Pull up and pay Roy $10 for the day or $30 for the year. Look for the gang of Subarus and if you dont see one start your own! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Wish I had the words to describe how cool this ORV park was or images to describe it for me. Best I can say is I've only seen terrain like this on TV or the internet and I went from end to end of that park. Obviously I couldnt hit everything but the poopenwagen performed above all expectations. Wish it wasn't just me who made it and maybe Ill get a friend with a camera to come next time!

It was off the Richter!

I really wish I could have made it. I have to go next time for sure!!!

Joe

Wish I had the words to describe how cool this ORV park was or images to describe it for me. Best I can say is I've only seen terrain like this on TV or the internet and I went from end to end of that park. Obviously I couldnt hit everything but the poopenwagen performed above all expectations. Wish it wasn't just me who made it and maybe Ill get a friend with a camera to come next time!

It was off the Richter!

For sure; we'll have to pick a day you and archemitis can both make it. Me and Arch went back monday. Got some good footage and pictures. Too bad the images do little justice to how the terrain looks in person. Have to post some stuff up when we get it uploaded.