Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My new to me 202 Legacy L wagon has some rust spots that need to be handled very quickly. I have one spot where the radio antenna exits the body that I am probably going to use fiberglass to seal up and fair to the proper shape.

post-57555-0-54948700-1426982796_thumb.jpg

The other one is a bit more tricky. It's located inside the driver's side rear door at the rear end of the sill. I am thinking the best route is to try to find a fresh repair panel to splice into the rusty area but I'm not sure where to get the panel. I have been looking at junkyards online but I can't figure out what the part would be listed as.

post-57555-0-45313000-1426982786_thumb.jpg

Anyone have any ideas they can help me out with?

Very odd to see rust on the roof like that.

The lower corner like that is sometimes called a dog-leg but I don't really know the industry term for that part. As far as I know nobody makes Patch panels for these cars so most people end up making their own or cutting them from a junkyard car. That part inside the door jamb I would just do with fiberglass or Bondo.

When I did a lot of patching on my old impreza (which is due for some more *sigh*) I went to a local body place and asked for a couple scraps out of their scrap bin. I got a door skin and a fender or two off of some random cars and then I cut and shaped peices to fit the holes before welding them in. Just an idea.

I believe I remember reading that those door jamb rust holes happen on that generation Legacy/outback because water is getting in behind it from the forward side of the inner wheel well. So while you're poking around and doing repairs in there make sure you check that area too.

mhoughton43,

Fibre glass will fill the hole, but there will be no strength if you're hit in the side.

Beg, borrow or steal a reciprocating saw (battery powered) and a speed drill with say a 3/8's inch drill bit

and head out to a wrecking yard where they have several subies of the same vintage.

With their permission, find a decent donor vehicle and use the drill ti make a large enough hole for the reciprocating saw blade to fit

through, and ten use it to cut out the entire dogleg section. Get at least 10 inches by 10 inches, to gibe you something to weld in

past the rusted out section of your car.

When you're finished, be sure to spray oil into the repaired section to prevent a rust through again from the inside. good Luck!