Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How Do You Make A Reverse Blinker?

im sorry if this already exists elsewhere but i literally could not find anything about it including on the internet, if anything, it thinks im searching for a back up light switch, if one post already exists, please direct me to it.

ive been wanting to do this project for quite some time now but i literally don't know where to start, i want my blinker to turn off and on instead of on and off, ive been running my car with the amber lights on for about 2 years now and using the corner parking light as my blinker, law seems fine with it so i want to step it up a notch, i want my amber lights to blink off and then come back on as i have it on with the virgin switch, and have my parking light on all the time once again like it should be. is there a kit where a small computer can do this online? the only thing i can think of is a double relay but that means that atleast one relay must be on all the time and ill end up with a dead battery anyways, if that idea even works. any help is greatly appreciated!!! thank you.

You would use switched ignition power to the lights like they are now, but you would run it through a 12v normally CLOSED relay. Ground one side of the relays trigger circuit and hook the 12v side of the trigger to your turn signal output. When you turn the blinkers on, the flasher will act like it normally does but it will trigger the relay, which will turn it off and on. You will need a solid state flasher to work correctly, not an electro-mechanical type. Solid state flashers are not resistance dependent like EM flashers are. Bob's your uncle! You've got blinker/markers!

Addendum... This requires one relay per side.

Edited by skishop69
  • Like 1

You would use switched ignition power to the lights like they are now, but you would run it through a 12v normally CLOSED relay. Ground one side of the relays trigger circuit and hook the 12v side of the trigger to your turn signal output. When you turn the blinkers on, the flasher will act like it normally does but it will trigger the relay, which will turn it off and on. You will need a solid state flasher to work correctly, not an electro-mechanical type. Solid state flashers are not resistance dependent like EM flashers are. Bob's your uncle! You've got blinker/markers!

Addendum... This requires one relay per side.

interesting, okay, that was confusing but i can probably work with it, ill get to that project tomorrow morning finally, ive seen some american vehicles with that blinking system before but never on an import, thanks alot!!

You'll want the relay wired in parallel with the rear turn signal.  You could just take the wire you have now, and run it into the relay.  So, basically:

85 - Turn signal power wire (the one that pulses power when the turn signal is on)

86 - Ground

30 - Wire to light

87a - Switched power.

However, the problem here is, your front signal won't work if the switch isn't on.  You could also use two relays per side, use a second one between this one and the wire to the light.

85 - Power from park light circuit (something that gets power off the "virgin switch")

86 - Ground

30 - Wire to light

87 - Wire from "30" of first relay

87a - Turn signal power wire (same as "85" for first relay)

That would be four relays though, seems a bit much.  Someone else might have a better way to do it.  As skishop69 said, it'll need to be a flasher that won't freak out for varying resistances.

Or you could make your car work more like the rest of the world & have the parkers as parkers (I'll guess you'll need a yellow globe), and your bumper lights as turn signals only :P

since I arrived here, I've been curious about the methods used on different cars to make the front blinkers/clearance lights work. Seem most use a dual filament globe (which I think is less noticable at night than a globe that flashes on & off & therefore not quite as safe).

Also curious about how to make red brake lights flash for the turn signal. When the brakes are off its easy, but to make the light turn off when the turn signal is on (and then to flash in the same sequence when the brake goes off) has confused me.

Sorry for the hijack...

• Like 1

Or you could make your car work more like the rest of the world & have the parkers as parkers (I'll guess you'll need a yellow globe), and your bumper lights as turn signals only :P

since I arrived here, I've been curious about the methods used on different cars to make the front blinkers/clearance lights work. Seem most use a dual filament globe (which I think is less noticable at night than a globe that flashes on & off & therefore not quite as safe).

Also curious about how to make red brake lights flash for the turn signal. When the brakes are off its easy, but to make the light turn off when the turn signal is on (and then to flash in the same sequence when the brake goes off) has confused me.

Sorry for the hijack...

yeah like a dodge ram or ford f150, the left and middle work as brakes but the blinker overruns the brake and the right one starts blinking, but yeah i was thinking overnight and i think i have to leave the virgin switch in the on position for me to have blinkers in the front...

4 pin relays are numbered 85,56,87 & 30. 5 pin relays have the 87a, just to clarify. You couldn't run the relay in parallel with the rear blinkers or the power would just bypass the relay. I did error in my post. You would need to wire the relay into the front turn signal wires only (not under the column as I stated) to avoid having the rears on. Just get a mountable relay and screw it to the inside fender up in the front corner and splice into the turn signal wire from there. DO NOT use scotch locks to do this. They are not weatherproof and the wires will corrode over time and become inoperative. Use shrink butt connectors and twist wire pairs together where necessary then heat them and they will seal.

I'll draw you a schematic today.

And, I had a chance to ponder this on my ride to work. It can be done with two relays at the column so long as you use a 5 pin relay. Been swamped with BS work this morning, but I'll get that schematic drawn for the 5 pin st up.

Edited by skishop69

4 pin relays are numbered 85,56,87 & 30. 5 pin relays have the 87a, just to clarify. You couldn't run the relay in parallel with the rear blinkers or the power would just bypass the relay. I did error in my post. You would need to wire the relay into the front turn signal wires only (not under the column as I stated) to avoid having the rears on. Just get a mountable relay and screw it to the inside fender up in the front corner and splice into the turn signal wire from there. DO NOT use scotch locks to do this. They are not weatherproof and the wires will corrode over time and become inoperative. Use shrink butt connectors and twist wire pairs together where necessary then heat them and they will seal.

I'll draw you a schematic today.

And, I had a chance to ponder this on my ride to work. It can be done with two relays at the column so long as you use a 5 pin relay. Been swamped with BS work this morning, but I'll get that schematic drawn for the 5 pin st up.

thank you so much for your time to draw me a schematic, i didnt get to the project this morning since i was swapping shocks from a loyale to my gl since the loyales shocks seem to be higher, but yeah ill just wait for your schematic before starting, take ur time!

So here's how you'd hook it up. One relay per side, under the column will work. Cross reference an Omron 7866 relay to find one that has a mounting tab on it. As long as it's 5 pin, normally OPEN and you hook it up as shown, you're golden.

post-2675-0-20971700-1427229694_thumb.jpg

Edited by skishop69
  • Like 1

Sorry for the hijack...

just where is 'here' - I am confused now reading some of your latest posts. Are you still in Sydney, or moved to US, or from US, now in Sydney ?

The original poster makes me wonder just what lights are working and when, and how they are different to what the law prefers .....

the 87 87a relay dos not use any power when in one of the two positions as it is simply resting, non energised, so should not drain your battery. Mind you, I have some odd hook up on my manual cooling fan switches - got two rectangular AC switches in dash - usual 2 spots, left does left fan, right does right fan. If I leave them pressed in and ignition off they are somehow drawing some power I think and drain battery over a long period between starts.Leave them in off position, drain does not happen !?

Edited by jono

So here's how you'd hook it up. One relay per side, under the column will work. Cross reference an Omron 7866 relay to find one that has a mounting tab on it. As long as it's 5 pin, normally OPEN and you hook it up as shown, you're golden.

those are some perfect straight lines you drew there, thanks!

-Omar

I knew someone could simplify it.  That would work great.  This will turn the front lights into more of a daytime running light though, as you'll need them wired to "hot in run".  Well, or you could just be like a lot of people around here, and never use them.  :rolleyes:

Edit:

Below is Not Subaru Related

This is to answer the question as to how the vehicles (old American trucks, for example) used a sing filament for turn and brake.

(end Edit)

As for the turn signal and brake lamp using the same bulb, they run through the turn signal switch.  I made this simple sketch on my phone, so excuse the quality.  I also didn't include the hazard in here, as it can vary.  Also, on newer cars, it just goes to a computer (typically BCM), and that decides what the lights do.

Note_032415_191223_1.jpg?psid=1

Edited by Dj7291993
  • Like 1

Yeah, they're going to be on any time the ignition is on, but if you wanted to add some more wiring and move the relays to the front fender corners and tap the wiring there, then the fronts would only be on with the lights on and flash with the signals. In this case, you would need a 4 pin, normally CLOSED relay.

just where is 'here' - I am confused now reading some of your latest posts. Are you still in Sydney, or moved to US, or from US, now in Sydney ?

holidaying in US for 8 weeks. Been here for 4 already. Almost forgotten what Aus looks like :P

Edited by wagonist

I knew someone could simplify it. That would work great. This will turn the front lights into more of a daytime running light though, as you'll need them wired to "hot in run". Well, or you could just be like a lot of people around here, and never use them. :rolleyes:

As for the turn signal and brake lamp using the same bulb, they run through the turn signal switch. I made this simple sketch on my phone, so excuse the quality. I also didn't include the hazard in here, as it can vary. Also, on newer cars, it just goes to a computer (typically BCM), and that decides what the lights do.

Note_032415_191223_1.jpg?psid=1

The rear blinker is not the brake light. It's the amber. Brake switch and brake light circuit not involved with turns.

An 87a relay for each front turn will do this. Mounted near each corner (downstream of the split to each front bumper light)

Power to the front turn should pass through from 30 to 87a(normally closed) pins. And when turn signal powers the 86 terminal (with 85 grounded) the 87a connection goes open. This will blink the front blinker off as the corner marker goes

Edited by Gloyale

The rear blinker is not the brake light. It's the amber. Brake switch and brake light circuit not involved with turns.

An 87a relay for each front turn will do this. Mounted near each corner (downstream of the split to each front bumper light)

Power to the front turn should pass through from 30 to 87a(normally closed) pins. And when turn signal powers the 86 terminal (with 85 grounded) the 87a connection goes open. This will blink the front blinker off as the corner marker goes

I know, that was in reply to wagonist and subasaurus. This is not how they work on a Subaru, and I am well aware of that.  However, I will edit my other post to make that more clear.