Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strut swap questions 2000 forester

subaroo808

Recently picked up a pretty clean 2000 forester l 2.5 with a 4eat. Plan is to try to gain a couple inches of clearance.

I was pretty sure I possibly (mis)read somewhere that you can use struts from a newer model forester 02-07? into a 2000 as long as you use the rear assemblies from the newer model, and that on the newer models the spring perch is a little higher up allowing little bit larger tires.

The rear struts on the 2000 were toast so I went to the local junkyard and got 04 rear assemblies (also hoping that the junkyard ones had a little more life than the ones that were on it so I could buy a little time before I had to get new ones). Got home jacked the car up took the assemblies off set them next to the newer ones and to me they look EXACTLY the same. I took some measurements and same same. Went ahead and installed the newer ones and they definitely are little stiffer than the ones that were on it, but now I'm getting ready to replace the struts all the way around, I was wanting to buy kyb's for a 04 (thinking that they are a little taller) but am now skeptical since both the 2000 and the 04 rear assemblies looked the same. I guess my question is...For one does this even sound possible and should the difference in size be easily noticeable to someone who is at times admittedly a little slow? And if not then what's the difference between the two and then why do you need the rear assembly from a newer car to fit the newer model struts on a 2000? Or am I way outta the ballpark on the whole idea?

Damn I know...I confuse myself too sometimes!

If that makes any sense to anyone then I'd love to hear any thoughts or opinions. I just wanted to get my facts straight first before I go buy struts to find out they do not fit. Thanks in advance!

This is my theory on this, SF is 98-02 SG is 03-08. The SF is the one in the left and the SG is the one on the right in the photo. The SG may be able to run an inch larger tire BUT are in fact about an inch shorter than the SF struts. Reason Why people see a difference when they swap these struts is because there current SF struts are shop and anything would be better than a shot strut.

As far as the rear top hats being diffrent and needing to beable to swap them out. There only a little diffrent but the bolt patter is the same. so i dont see why it would make a difference.

If your wanting lift and the ability to run larger tires (larger than the perch allows you) Lower lift brakets would fix that.

DSCN0042.jpg

The SG may be able to run an inch larger tire BUT are in fact about an inch shorter than the SF

So just adding the sg struts I won't gain anything except the ability to fit larger tires?

I'm just trying to get a couple inches so I don't scrape while I'm getting to my favorite fishing spots :)

My plan was..

1-get little taller struts

2-possibly fab up some strut top spacers

3-add 3/8 rear spacer

4-skidplate

5-eventually a set of King springs

6-little larger tires

I have a TON of other misc tweaks and mods I want to do but ground clearance is top of the list at the moment. I've only had the car barely a month and already had to have the exhaust repaired where I banged a rock on the first excursion we went on.

yes youll only gain larger tire, and lose an inch of travel.

Personally, ive ran king spring for years and from what ive experienced, You love down travle of the strut as its a stiffer spring and is closer to being fully extended.

The best and cheapest is lifting it 2" with stock suspension/new suspension.

I build them for a living, and the places you can go with even a 2" lift and larger tires is unbelievable.

Facebook.com/adnfab

But i would suggest buying new KYB;s on amazon, there the cheapest ive seen anywhere even with shop discounts. Justsuspention is the company on there, free shipping too

I checked prices on amazon and here locally for the kyb's. Crazy they want OVER twice as much here in town than just suspension is asking! Needless to say I know where I will be ordering them from (thank u for the advice!).

Which brings me to my next question..In the opinion of someone who is more knowledgeable than me in this area what would be my best bet? Would I be better off ordering struts for the model year of my car (2000) or for an 04? Since I have the 04 rear assemblies I can go either way. I'm not sure. I'm just wanting this thing a little higher up off the ground. I'm hoping to get the king springs ordered at the same time I'm just unsure as to the correct combo. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

The 00 forester spring are a higher rating than the 04 are. Read on primitives site, 1.4" compared to 1.1" of lift. 00 to 04.

Oh and go onto kybs web site and look for a rebate. They have a 40$ off right now. Works with amazon orders too. I did the same thing last year.