Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am getting about 18mpg with 87 octane fuel, and have noticed a gas smell at the front of the car.

I can't find any leaks.  I replaced the fuel filter and the lines at the filter look intact.  Then the lines go through the firewall, so I can't see them going back.

Is this a common issue?

Any ideas?

Don't know about why you mileage is bad. but the fuel smell is common. The fuel lines on the intake leak when it cold outside. never enough to be visible but enough to give one massive headache. There is one rubber fuel line near the rear of the engine on the passenger side. Get a phillips screwdriver and tighten the clamps see if that works

City or highway, or is that combined?

Auto or manual trans?

There are a handful of o-rings on the fuel rails that can leak especially if any work has been done recently that involved removing the fuel rails. Check carefully at each end of the rails, check the short section of hose on the fuel pressure regulator and make sure the clamps are tight.

where is the evap canister?

I just bought the car.  It appears to have sat for a bit in an impound lot before I bought it.  Fuel filler neck was rusted and fuel filter was clogged.  Car would barely start.

Replaced both and it starts reliably, but mpg is still low, and have recently noticed the smell.

Now it went back to having an extended crank issue.  Maybe 8 seconds before it will turn over unless you put the pedal on the floor.

If you put the pedal on the floor and let go as soon as it starts, it will die.  If you rev it once, the  idle will stabilize around 8-900.

Any ideas?  I have replaced the fuel filter.  Is the Evap canister the next culprit?  And is that under the hood?

Thanks

The evap canister is also known as the charcoal canister.  In your car, it is located on the right (passenger's) side under the hood, right behind the headlight.  It is a round cylinder, about 3-4" in diameter.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdrive2.subaru.com%2FSum03_FuelSystem.htm&ei=w74WVbi0DYSPyASfq4DIAQ&psig=AFQjCNF8F7FRYq-ID-5coruc_J9CNk2_kg&ust=1427639741386695

I blew air through the evap canister and could feel it coming out of the bottom.  Does that mean it is not clogged?

Also, what way should the arrow point on the 2 way valve?  It was pointing toward the canister.

Today, (48 degrees F), it started right up, was sluggish for 5 seconds and then went to high idle for warm-up.

OK, that tells me that you should check/replace the coolant temperature sensor which is located on the water crossover pipe under the intake manifold.  Or maybe the contacts have just corroded and need cleaning.  This tells the engine whether is it hot or cold and either enriches or leans out the fuel mixture. 

If the weather has been warm, it could very well tell the car (in error) to still run rich which would account for both the fuel smell and poor mpg.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 96 Legacy as well. I think my problem is with the filler neck or a line coming off of that. I can't really get under it to check because I live in an apartment with street parking.

How much would replacing something like that cost if I brought it to a [non-dealership] shop?

I had seen that in a previous forum.

In the data list for the ECM, it appeared to be reading accurately.  Also, I have no dtc's besides the knock sensor p0325.

Or am I missing something?

Thanks for your input.

So you have a good and  your not fixing it?

Before you go trying to diagnose the problem, fix the one you know.  Replace the knock sensor and see what happens.

The other catch is a bad knock sensor can affect MPG, it could also be providing more fuel than necessary or not enough spark to fire all the fuel with a bad knock sensor.  With a malfunctioning knock sensor the computer is running in the dark regarding timing and puts it in a "safe zone" instead of adjusting it as needed.

Edited by lstevens76