Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will a 1981 GL 5 speed dual range transmission fit in a 1983 brat?

Direct fit, no. Will it fit? Yes. You have to grind the bottom of the block side of the bell housing, use the flywheel and clutch from the 5spd, modify the cross member and build shift linkages. You'll also have to mod your wiring for the hi/lo 4wd lights on the dash. Search 5spd swap. There are some good write ups on it. Jerry sells a kit for it. Way easier if you don't have a welder, proper tools and fabbing skills.

Edited by skishop69

There were no 5 speed 4wds made for the 1981 model year. Either the trans is not actually a 1981, or its not a 4wd 5 speed. If you find out its a 4 speed and you still need to buy it, check the starter make sure its off to drvr the side and not in the center (for early ea71). If it is of concern to you might wanna verify it is a d/r as well.

There were no 5 speed 4wds made for the 1981 model year. Either the trans is not actually a 1981, or its not a 4wd 5 speed. If you find out its a 4 speed and you still need to buy it, check the starter make sure its off to drvr the side and not in the center (for early ea71). If it is of concern to you might wanna verify it is a d/r as well.

It may be a 5spd 2wd trans(single range). If so it will "work" but you will have only 2wd

As stated above, there were no 5spd d/r 4wds from 81. Not til 85 was it introduced on ea82 models. Never on ea81

yet in the 34 years since, maybe just maybe someone has already done the conversion so it may just be a 5 sp d/r in an 1981 vehicle.

ask the seller a few questions, get some pics and promise of all the extra bits needed

wait i have a 1979 subaru DL 5sp manual 4x4, dual range didnt exist yet i think. dont know why it was called DL back then if its the top of the line model with quad circle headlights, powersteering, factory A/C and a right rear view mirror, so im confused, why did subaru not do a 1981 5sp then? if they did it just fine in 1979 on the EA71? has mine been frakensteined too?!?! lol

wait i have a 1979 subaru DL 5sp manual 4x4, dual range didnt exist yet i think. dont know why it was called DL back then if its the top of the line model with quad circle headlights, powersteering, factory A/C and a right rear view mirror, so im confused, why did subaru not do a 1981 5sp then? if they did it just fine in 1979 on the EA71? has mine been frakensteined too?!?! lol

It's either been modified. Or it's a 4spd d/r. That's what a 79 brat would have.

Ever actually used 5th gear on it? Maybe someone just screwed a 5spd knob onto it.

Look at the starter, if it's in the very center/top of he bell housing, it's the original type 4spd trans.

Oh yeah, if the dash has just a small hump over the gauges it's a do. If the dash "visor" is wider and covers half the dash, it's a GL and someone has switched the tailgate likely from a DL.

Edited by Gloyale

It's either been modified. Or it's a 4spd d/r. That's what a 79 brat would have.

Ever actually used 5th gear on it? Maybe someone just screwed a 5spd knob onto it.

Look at the starter, if it's in the very center/top of he bell housing, it's the original type 4spd trans.

Oh yeah, if the dash has just a small hump over the gauges it's a do. If the dash "visor" is wider and covers half the dash, it's a GL and someone has switched the tailgate likely from a DL.

it does not have a small hump like the later ea82's, its a whole rainbow almost over the whole dash, has the modern guages if that helps any, and by modern i mean it has a tachometer, and yes its a 5speed, guess someone did do something to it some 30years ago. and dual range didnt exist yet right?? because i thought all these early subarus had a lever to put it into 4x4 but d/r was non existant on subaru still

it does not have a small hump like the later ea82's, its a whole rainbow almost over the whole dash, has the modern guages if that helps any, and by modern i mean it has a tachometer, and yes its a 5speed, guess someone did do something to it some 30years ago. and dual range didnt exist yet right?? because i thought all these early subarus had a lever to put it into 4x4 but d/r was non existant on subaru still

So it's a GL not a DL.

Would have been single range 4wd in 79

There are dual range 4spds...starting in 80 iirc.....

But no 5spd 4x4.

Are you sure it's a 5spd? Again, look at the bellhousing, because unless the engine has been swapped too, the 5spd will not bolt up to a 1979 brat engine (ea71, 1600)

So it's a GL not a DL.

Would have been single range 4wd in 79

There are dual range 4spds...starting in 80 iirc.....

But no 5spd 4x4.

Are you sure it's a 5spd? Again, look at the bellhousing, because unless the engine has been swapped too, the 5spd will not bolt up to a 1979 brat engine (ea71, 1600)

hmm... well i confused my 1989 gl with my 1979wagon, my mistake, yeah your compleately right gloyale, havent driven my old wagon in a while and forgot how many gears it had, had to go look at it for myself, thanks. Edited by Subasaurus

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 3/24/2015 at 6:58 PM, skishop69 said:

Direct fit, no. Will it fit? Yes. You have to grind the bottom of the block side of the bell housing, use the flywheel and clutch from the 5spd, modify the cross member and build shift linkages. You'll also have to mod your wiring for the hi/lo 4wd lights on the dash. Search 5spd swap. There are some good write ups on it. Jerry sells a kit for it. Way easier if you don't have a welder, proper tools and fabbing skills.

Who is jerry and how do I contact him for this kit?

1 hour ago, 83subaruGLchick said:

Who is jerry and how do I contact him for this kit?

Jerry may not be around anymore. Last I heard his health (and memory) wasn't that great.....

https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/profile/99-bratsrus1/

Hasn't posted since 2018. Great guy and a great fabricator but if he's still with us he's about 65 now.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder