Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello, 

First post on this Forum! It has been killing me on my 1997 Subaru outback to get the pin connections out of the baby blue B84 connector. I am trying to ground out Pin #81 to remove the CEL for the egr valve. The previous owner swapped the 2.5 for a 2.2. They changed the original automatic transmission to a 5 speed, so I am getting the CEL for the EGR because originally the car had a EGR valve but the new 2.2 does not have an EGR. So after hours of research I found if you ground out Pin 81 at the ECU it will tell the ECU that the car is a manual and does not require an EGR. Here in lies the problem, I for the life of me can not get the pins to release to move them! Could some one please let me know the secret to releasing the pins! I have stuck tiny screwdrivers in every hole and cant get one to release, there is not wire retainers to release. If you look at the pic below you can see what connector I am trying to work with.

Thanks!

connector.pdf

The connectors are kind of a multi-piece deal. A locking section of the connector has to be removed before the terminals can slide out. This helps prevent terminals from being pushed out while plugging the connector in.

Find a junkyard car to get some terminals from, and learn how to remove them without breaking the connector in your car.

The MT Identifier will fix some idle issues and IAC codes but will not likely take care of the EGR problem. Its worth a shot to try but the EGR stuff is usually programmed into the ECU. There are ways around it, you can either put an EGR intake manifold on the engine and run a hose from the intake tube to the EGR valve. Or you can swap the ECU with a non-EGR unit from a 96-97 2.2 non-EGR car.

This still requires grounding the MT identifier pin and will need the neutral position switch on the trans to be connected to the proper pins on the ECU.

• Like 2