Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dual Range into an '87 GL10 Turbo Manual?

I have an '87 GL10 turbo with the 5 speed and the push button 4 wheel. Can I keep the same tranny and just swap the transfer case to get dual range? I searched around and found that its a decent swap but was unsure of the tranny.

Thanks.

You will not be able to swap the Hi-lo Diff part of the tranny...

you can However swap in a Complete Hi-Lo tranny in its Place.....Drive line Length is the same, and All shift points are the same.....

You will want the Shifting hardware off the Duel range, as It doesn't have the Push button, and It will have the Hi-Lo stick as well.....

Pull your Shift Boot up, and you will find a Tin plate screwed down to the Shifter Hole in the Tunnel.....Pull it out, and You are ready to install the Hi-Lo.....:)

E-mail me or call if you have ??? or run into issues, I've done this conversion several times....:)

Later, John......

541-729-8490

Ahh, I see!

I was under the impression that the tranny and transfer were two seperate units (I've never wrenched on this type of vehicle, but have on others). Sounds like its more of an integrated single unit then. So basically, I can find a 5 speed dual range unit with the levers, grab the center console piece and I'm good to go sounds like.

Maybe I'll hit the junkyard this week and see what I come up with.......

Yep, you got it. Normally the S/R and D/R Subarus don't have a transfer case (although their are a few with a Nissan transfer case welded in with 30 forward gears!). They also don't really have a center differential, which is a lot of the reason why they bind so bad on sharp corners in 4WD.

I hear the S/R --> D/R swap is a blam, though. Good luck with it - I'll hopefully be attempting the same thing in a year or so.

Yep, you got it. Normally the S/R and D/R Subarus don't have a transfer case (although their are a few with a Nissan transfer case welded in with 30 forward gears!). They also don't really have a center differential, which is a lot of the reason why they bind so bad on sharp corners in 4WD.

I hear the S/R --> D/R swap is a blam, though. Good luck with it - I'll hopefully be attempting the same thing in a year or so.

Minor correction.

The S/R and D/R Full Time 4WD trannies do have a center diff. It is an open diff with a vacuum actuated lock.

See image for center difflock switch

http://usmb.net/albums/albuo11/picture_012.jpg

I have an '87 GL10 turbo with the 5 speed and the push button 4 wheel. Can I keep the same tranny and just swap the transfer case to get dual range? I searched around and found that its a decent swap but was unsure of the tranny.

Thanks.

I do not know if the dual range t.case can be bolted onto your single range tranny. Given the way Subaru does things; I would think yes its swapable. Even if it was I'd still just swap the transmissions. You already have everything you need there to accept the dual range trans. They are pretty easy to come by for a reasonable price. Having an extra 4WD transmission would be nice :) Especially one you KNOW will bolt in and drive.

I know the owner of the local boneyard. I think I'll work a partial trade deal with him. I might try this swap in a few weeks.

I also found the original window sticker and purchase paperwork in the glovebox. Interesting stuff to read through.

I also found the original window sticker and purchase paperwork in the glovebox. Interesting stuff to read through.

I love finding that stuff. Guess that's why I keep those things myself and pass them with the vehicles as I get rid of them.