Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA71 Oil capacity and viscosity

Capacity should be around 4 qts with a filter change. Verify with the dipstick. Since you have fairly consistent temps, I would base the weight more on the mileage. 10/30 for low mileage, 10/40 for up to 80k, and 20/50 for over 80k. Also, newer oils are not high in zinc, which flat tappet engines like ours need. Either use a zinc additive with dino oil or many are switching over to "diesel" oil. Don't need to wear out a cam on these motors as replacement requires basically complete teardown.

Capacity should be around 4 qts with a filter change. Verify with the dipstick. Since you have fairly consistent temps, I would base the weight more on the mileage. 10/30 for low mileage, 10/40 for up to 80k, and 20/50 for over 80k. Also, newer oils are not high in zinc, which flat tappet engines like ours need. Either use a zinc additive with dino oil or many are switching over to "diesel" oil. Don't need to wear out a cam on these motors as replacement requires basically complete teardown.

really that much? i used to put 10-40w on mine that has 210,000miles untill i replaced the oil pump and all my lifters and what not, now im just putting in 10-30w and im at 215,000miles, full synthetic with a wix filter and do an oil change 4,000-5,000miles depending on how broke i am :P

I have been using heavy duty 15w-40 Supertech. I read on bobistheoilguy that it has around 1300ppm of zinc and phosphorus (zddp). Walmart has slowly moved it from the regular oil section towards their diesel oil displays. It says that it can be used in both cars and diesels.

Whenever I don't buy the 15w-40, I generally buy whatever is cheapest at 10w-30 and add a couple ounces of lucas break in additive. I have read that this supposedly adds the correct amount of zinc.

I am planning on switching to Quaker State Defy in my Buick 430. It's supposed to have the zinc, some seal conditioners and is a partial synthetic.