Ultimate Subaru Message Board

can an ea sound like an ej

hi guys im just wondering if an ea81 or 82 can sound just like an ej engine so i know about uel header stuff but do ej's or ea's have a distinctive sound.

i know ea's can have a really nice exhaust note like this www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRe5NL_Ju8w.

the other question was that i see 2nd gen leones with 2 styles of headlamps one with 2 rectangular transparent heala,ps and the othe with 1 orange headlamp on either side do you know what determines that. thankyou :) 

• Like 1

Ahh the sound that sounds right and legal (just)  I have a brumby with a EA82 Turbo (genuine 60k on motor) Three inch exhaust one straight through hot dog and one standard muffler  sound is 1 decibel under legal a really nice note .Sometimes I insert a 3 inch OD to 2 inch funnel fitting into the tail pipe as the back pressure quietens the exhaust to only just audible.

Just a silly cooment but true

The following picture depicts my custom made exhaust for my ea81 powered trike. You can see the crossover pipe. Now the sound of this engine is not like the Brat/Brumby engine. It in fact sounds more like a mormalo 4 cylinder straight in line sort with no throb sound.

Hope this is of some use.

IMG_0032-4.jpg

The following picture depicts my custom made exhaust for my ea81 powered trike. You can see the crossover pipe. Now the sound of this engine is not like the Brat/Brumby engine. It in fact sounds more like a mormalo 4 cylinder straight in line sort with no throb sound.

IMG_0032-4.jpg

Wow that would have taken some time

IMG_0032-4.jpg

Ahh the sound that sounds right and legal (just)  I have a brumby with a EA82 Turbo (genuine 60k on motor) Three inch exhaust one straight through hot dog and one standard muffler  sound is 1 decibel under legal a really nice note .Sometimes I insert a 3 inch OD to 2 inch funnel fitting into the tail pipe as the back pressure quietens the exhaust to only just audible.

Just a silly cooment but true

www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8LXxVNrV9A this is one mad sounding 78 brat with flowmasters! not my video

This is the way I understand it. Equal length exhaust tubes before the merge collector make a standard 4 cylinder exhaust note (no Subaru 'burble').  Unequal length tubes before the merge collector give you the Subaru 'burble' noise. I have each style here in my driveway and the difference is like night and day.

Edited by Crazyeights

• 9 months later...

You can give the ea a "man-eating" bark. You dont even have to break the bank to do it.

You can't make it sound like a wrx tho.

Most if not all ea heads are single port exhaust. Ej heads are mix and match depending on year and model.

To give your ea that deep bark, you need big pipes. I like 2.5" its easier to package under the car.

It does help to hollow out the catalytic converter, but some states frown on that so use your judgement there. From the cat run maybe 1ft of 2.5 to a good ol glasspack muffler. Then more 2.5 all the way out the back to a quality resonator tip. If that system starts to annoy you on the highway, you can add a quality magnaflow, flowmaster or whatever brand muffler in the stock location. The key here is use quality mufflers, cheap ones sound cheap.