Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 5 speed manual front wheel drive ea81 that I am wanting to fit an ej22 into.

Here are the options I am looking at:

FWD Impreza transmission:

I read that the impreza ej22 fwd transmissions are 23 spline and so are the hubs of the ea81 cars. I also read that to use an ej22 transmission, I could use the front and rear crossmember pieces out of an xt6 and the center one out of a wrx. If so, are they a direct bolt in? And what year wrx would I be looking at?  And is all of this possible? Is there any way I could fabricate some sort of crossmember or modify the original one to fit an ej transmission with just a drill and an angle grinder?

Reusing my stock transmission:

With these parts, would they mate up together?

-ea81 clutch

-Flywheel redrilled to the ej pattern

-xt6 pressure plate. (I don't know if I have to get another throwout bearing or if I can reuse the one that's in there).

-Adapter plate since the shaft of the ea transmission is longer than the ej transmission.

Ea82 transmission:

Readily available and really cheap. From what I understand they are pretty similar to the ea81 transmissions too, and I can pick one up with significantly lower miles than my current one for pretty cheap so I'd be willing to do it if it's not too complicated.

The thing is that my stock transmission has 250000 miles on it, so I was planning on replacing it anyways and I'd have to pay $400 for a redrilled flywheel and adapter plate from sjr since I don't have any good machining tools. I was thinking that for that price I could just get a fwd ej transmission, am I right?

Edited by Whatever

I would go with an ej18 and its transmission rather than a '22 because with FWD only you would never be able to put the power down effectively until 45+.That or convert to 4/awd.Its kinda cool and kinda sucky when you can't use full power because your tires will just sit there and spin even when your moving.

I thought everything changed over to the 27 spline after the EA82 chassis? I may not be understanding what you're doing.

As I understand it. You can use an EA82 tranny with an adapter plate. This way you can use EA81 axles (The clutch gets tricky, but there are some combinations that work without to much modding.)

there are also people on this forum who make shifter adapter kits.

The tricky parts are the wiring and fuel delivery of your 2.2.

EA81's are mostly carberated,and I think the 2.2 you are looking at is fuel injected. You'll need the fuel pump and fuel lines.

also, you'll need the wiring harness from both cars and the ECU from the 2.2 car. you'll need you combine and rewire them together. (Again alot of resources on the forum for that.)

I would find a doner 4WD EA81 for your project. Most everything will swap right over And you'll have alot more fun. (Subarus are meant to be 4WD ;) )

Edited by dec0y13

Use ej18 or ej22 w/ fwd 5spd 93-95 Impreza trans.

Front ea crossmember drill/grinder to fit with any ej centerpiece with flat bar at the rear. Works

EJ flywheel and clutch. No redrill. Full EJ set for fwd 93-95 Impreza

• Like 1

I picked up an ej22 for $125 and I'm pretty set on it. Got a timing belt kit on it rear seal and it has new head gaskets. I will start looking for a fwd impreza transmission.

Pulled a fuel pump off a loyale. Got the intake with a maf.

"Front ea crossmember drill/grinder to fit with any ej centerpiece with flat bar at the rear. Works"

Ok.

So will the ea81 axles fit in the fwd ej22 transmission (off an early impreza)?

Edited by Whatever

I picked up an ej22 for $125 and I'm pretty set on it. Got a timing belt kit on it rear seal and it has new head gaskets. I will start looking for a fwd impreza transmission.

So will the ea81 axles fit in the fwd ej22 transmission (off an early impreza)?

Only fwd from early 5spd imp w/ej18. Any 2.2 car will have a 25 spline output and likely be AWD. I don't think the USDM got FWD imps w/2.2

• 3 weeks later...