Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Shifter Bushings, Can't Remove them?

1989 Subaru GL Wagon 4WD Single Range 5spd

so i went to the junkyard, picked up the shifter bushings just like i had done to my 93 impreza a while ago, removed some good condition ones and came home, well i did not realize that the one i removed it from was from a 2WD, thats why it was so easy to remove, and now i can't remove mine since Subaru put the bolt in the wrong way, and its in the way of the 4WD knucke that comes out of the transmission, its such an easy project yet so difficult its stupid.

i did notice theres i think a roll pin on the piece that connects to the transmission but again, the stupid knuckle is in the way! please don't tell me i have to do this whole elaborate thing and remove almost everything just to change these rubber bushings on a bolt. the shifter is being annoying on the highway and i really want to just fix it. has anyone else had this problem? what did you do? any input is greatly appreciated!!

the thing im pointing at is the nut, not the bolt, bolt is on the other side and thats the problem.

post-57642-0-39703900-1430256257_thumb.jpg

post-57642-0-80043300-1430256319_thumb.jpg

What knuckle is in the way of the roll pin(s)? Looks like it's vertical. Don't forget it's a double pin (ie one pin inside the other, you need to knock out the inside first to make the outside one loose).

Apart from that, the stay brace above the shifter is only bolted onto the back of the trans with 2 bolts, you can unbolt that to give more room.

• Like 1

We just did bushings on my loyale. WE. Have a helper in the car and move the shifter (pretty sure it was reverse) to gain the best access to those roll pins. There were 2 roll pins in mine. They aren't easy but tap or press the smallest one out towards drivers side of car, then the larger one same way. Tap first but be careful not to mushroom those pins. It helps to make a small press, pretty sure there were 3 of us, 2 under the car squeezing the channel locks to press em out. I had no bushings in that mount nor the spring. If your springs not there, make one. Hope it helps cuz its sure been nice with the new bushings.   

• Like 1

Without the spring, the shifter is floppy. Gives the feel of worn bushings to me.

I'd try the spring 1st, just to see if that is the issue.

spring is an issue, but the bushings are also since i can see that no rubber plastic bushing remains, just metal on metal.

i imagined the roll pins are a pain, im going to get to the project here in a couple of hours, can both roll pins go out the same side? because i dont understand how it can be done any other way.

Yes, they both come out the same way. I used a small punch first, then a bigger punch second. 

When you go to put them back in, don't seat the big one all the way before you start the small one. (Ask how I know......lol)

When I did mine, the piece was rusted to the shaft and it took some serious persuasion with a bfh and PB Blaster to get it off. 

Good luck!

Dan

• Like 1

alright so i finished the project, and this post is for future reference to this thread for anyone thats going to do the shifter bushings in the future.

apparently the 2WD and 4WD have different bushings on the piece im pointing to in the first picture, as you can see, the black rubberishplastic bushing is bigger, i ended up using the metal tube that came out of the 2WD since the 4WD uses a bolt and no tube, then i wrapped it in Aluminum tape, or metal duct tape to make it a tight fit, the homemade bushing actually worked out pretty good. and the pin(s), turned out there was only one pin and not 2, im not sure if mine has been changed or i have some weird year model one but the pin was mushrooming out on me and was unusable after i had gotten it out, lucky i even got it out in the first place, so i used a bolt and a nut as a replacement for easier removal in the future (2nd picture). this is how it was on my 1993 impreza, a bolt and a nut instead of a roll pin) so this makes me sure it wount fail on me since i abuse the shifter way more on the impreza than my GL Wagon, again not sure if my impreza came like that from factory or is actually suppose to have a pin(s). i made sure i put the bolt from ontop and the nut on the bottom incase for any reason the nut undoes itself and your left with no shifter while driving, i will be placing another nut as a safety later to lock them together.

also as colemanapp and TomRhere have stated, the spring is everything, the bushings mostly only cure the play that goes foward and back, they do cure the side to side alittle but the side to side is up to the spring mostly.

another thing, that rattling noise that my shifter was making was not the amount of play that the bushings had, but instead it was the 4WD button on the shifter vibrating and rattling around, so i will be moving the 4WD soon to possibly next to the fan speed (where the intermediate knob is for the wipers on higher trim vehicles).

again thank you everyone for your help, removing those 2 bolts to that 2nd arm on the shifter gave me all the room i needed :)

post-57642-0-74384400-1430339308_thumb.jpg

post-57642-0-16904600-1430339320_thumb.jpg

Edited by Subasaurus