Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1. Will ej25 plugs fir in the ej18? Have some brand new iridiums, would rather not have them sit. 

2. I'm getting a whirring style noise with speed. It got a little better when I topped off the rear diff, but I'm worried it may be wheel bearings. Boots are fine. Tires are crap, as are brakes. Should I start with replacing the pads first before trying to get at the bearings? Also, I have nothing in the very back, like no spare, styrofoam or floor. Is the lack of noise insulation through there enough to make a loud whirring noise? Trying to upload a video I took with the noise

Thanks - CL

Edit: Answer to #1 is yes

Edited by comatosellama

I'm not sure that sound is in the wheel bearings, I would be thinking differential bearings.  Honestly it sounds just like the pinion bearing did in my Durango.

The problem is, when there are noises (especially road noises like that) start with the obvious because sometimes the obvious that you don't think is the cause, turns out to be.

If it is an AWD I would get a good full matched set of tires on it ASAP first.  Some of that could be road noise.  Check your local craigslist for a matched set that will either bolt right on or you can have mounted on your rims (saves money and gets it fixed quick so you can move onto other things).

I would then do the brakes, since you've stated they are a known obvious problem.  

Once those are fixed see if those made any difference to the noise and go from there.

I'm not sure that sound is in the wheel bearings, I would be thinking differential bearings.  Honestly it sounds just like the pinion bearing did in my Durango.

The problem is, when there are noises (especially road noises like that) start with the obvious because sometimes the obvious that you don't think is the cause, turns out to be.

If it is an AWD I would get a good full matched set of tires on it ASAP first.  Some of that could be road noise.  Check your local craigslist for a matched set that will either bolt right on or you can have mounted on your rims (saves money and gets it fixed quick so you can move onto other things).

I would then do the brakes, since you've stated they are a known obvious problem.  

Once those are fixed see if those made any difference to the noise and go from there.

The tires are matches, they're just off brand. (Diamondback MS) 

Problem with brakes it that it has a rear disk swap, and I don't know what car to order pads for

The tires are matches, they're just off brand. (Diamondback MS) 

Problem with brakes it that it has a rear disk swap, and I don't know what car to order pads for

Pull a tire and look for a part number on the caliper and google it if at all possible.  It might just be a swap from a '95 OBS, etc... making it really easy to locate.

How is the tread on the tires?  When I think trash tires I think tread, not brand. lol