Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi, I have a 2007 Impreza (not WRX/STI, just the plain model). Seems my right front bearing is giving up. Online manual states front wheel hub bearing cannot be disassembled and needs to be changed, but the part is not available anywhere, all on-line stores offer it only for WRX - and standard hub and extra bearing for normal Imprezas. I suspect the manual is wrong, but would like to hear some input. Thanks, M. 

Quick search on ebay shows that it's the same bearing for 1993-2007 imprezas.  (non sti)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=wheel+bearing+impreza&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xfront+wheel+bearing+impreza.TRS1&_nkw=front+wheel+bearing+impreza&_sacat=0

The manual likely is trying to say that the bearing isn't reusable.  Once you press it out of the hub, you've already ruined it.  Press in a new one and you're good to go.  You'll probably need the grease seals as those easily get ruined when pressing out the old bearing.

Edited by nvu

The manual is just saying the bearing can't be removed to be regreased without destroying it.

The bearing has to be pressed out and a new one pressed in.

I have had good luck with newer sealed bearings (rubber seals built into the bearing) rather than the open style (open ends which leave the rollers exposed).

One of the biggest reasons for bearing failure is dirt getting into the bearing either through a failed axle seal or by dirt falling in when a cv axle is being replaced. With a sealed bearing there is no chance of dirt ever getting into the bearing.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

My 2007 Impreza 2.5i has both rear bearings worn out.

Current mileage is at 97,200 km. 

Is this normal?

Yes and no - I wouldn't call it normal but it's not surprising either -

If you started carrying more weight and walking/running/moving faster - would your body be sore?

Newer Subaru's (and maybe other manufacturers) have more wheel bearing failures than older ones.  Vehicles get larger in size, more weight, more performance, and marketing favors suspension feel and experience over durability.  I would guess other manufacturers have the same experience unless their prior wheel bearings sucked to begin with too.

You're also nearing 10 years, some boots, bushings, and bearings are going to age.

Check to make sure there's no recall or anything regarding bearings. I don't know of any that late, but I know earlier models had some recalls/extended warranties or better bearing designs.

Edited by grossgary

• 3 weeks later...

it's a pretty good idea to inspect or have the brakes inspected - maybe once every 2-3 years?

as the brakes get 'older' (in miles OR time) inspection becomes more important and should be more frequent.

does the growling get worse or change a lot if you gently depress the brakes?

there are 3-4 types of 'tests' for bad wheel bearings, but none of them seem to be 100% accurate for our bearings; some folks have found bad bearings by using an infrared thermometer to find one hub hotter than the other side. Or, I have personally found a bad bearing lifting/rocking the wheel in the 12 to 6 o'clock direction. Some people can sense a change in sound thru sweeping turns left or right. The idea is, the bad bearing would be louder on the left in a right turn, or right on a left turn because of dynamic loading. Others claim you can detect a bad bearing by feeling of the spring while turning the wheel. Or listening with a mechanic's stethoscope.

If you have a mechanic, take him for a ride and demonstrate the problem.

• 1 month later...