Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Welp, I finally did it. Broken intake manifold bolt.

After reading all the threads throughout the years, I never broke one of these bolts...until today.

One bolt was stuck, used a heap of penetrant and heat to try and get it out, buuuuuut...

sxDKM7U.jpg

It's the one on the left. Got the other five out, however now I can't slip the manifold over the broken bolt.

What are my options?

welcome to the club then! I have got to exact same stage and armed self with a drill and bit, drilled out crooked, destroyed manifold at same time - from an aesthetic point of view :(

Surely if you have the other five out you can push n shove to git some movement going and see if it gives ?

The shaft of the bolt seizes up in the alloy of the manifold. If you can rescue some of it, use shaft to turn what is now a stud :) out and save thread if Fuji is on your side.

Engine in car I take it ?

welcome to the club then! I have got to exact same stage and armed self with a drill and bit, drilled out crooked, destroyed manifold at same time - from an aesthetic point of view :(

Surely if you have the other five out you can push n shove to git some movement going and see if it gives ?

The shaft of the bolt seizes up in the alloy of the manifold. If you can rescue some of it, use shaft to turn what is now a stud :) out and save thread if Fuji is on your side.

Engine in car I take it ?

Haha, not a club I wanted to join but thanks!\

There is definite give in the manifold - I can rotate it about an inch at the other side. 

I'm going to attempt to drill some of it out and see how I get on. Wish me luck!

Edited by rxleone

Not a fun club to be a member of.

At least the manifold will move some.

So, spray penetrant in hole, work the manifold back and forth a bit to help get the lube worked down the bolt.

See if you can pull up while moving manifold.

Haven't had to do that myself, but read it on here a while back.

Most of them I've had to deal with were broke right at the head. But have had to drive the bolt out of the intake bore.

I won.

0etgovp.jpg

However, I may have bigger problems. I think I found why I had such a bad air leak.

wyBABkR.jpg

C2wrBAT.jpg

Is this going to be a big issue? Any advice on how to fix?

Sure is nice to see a shiny engine under all that grease though!

e8f2TXh.jpg

:)