Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I could use the help :D

zombieblues

So I've put up a go fund me and am hoping to get help from you guys!  I am turning my 83 wagon into a rally car. 

Right now I am working on the weight reductions and the suspension.  I'm hoping to participate in some races next spring and summer.  It would be awesome to have a USMB rally car to get some attention to the forums. 

If it's allowed I will post the link below.  Please tell me if it needs to be removed due to rules.

If anyone could lend some time helping me with various things (Ideas on suspension, Ideas on weight reductions and drivetrains that might work with a higher powered EA81.

I plan on getting most of the forged parts from RAM. Not sure about which turbo I want but will figure that out when the motor part of the build comes along. 

Here's the link if anyone wants to throw a few bucks towards this build.  Any help at all... Even encouragement is greatly appreciated. 

http://www.gofundme.com/baja500racecar

Any suggestions for body and paint?  I am going to research bed liners and possible cover it in a rhino line... If it won't effect air and weight.

Edited by zombieblues

Everyone hates on it because of the rust haha.  The frame is great. The body was cleaned with something... Something that caused these crazy rust spots.  The wheel wells will be cut out anyways. along with a majority of metal for the weight reduction.

Your going to remove the wheel wells?

Removed then replaced.  I will have to double check the regulations but from what I understand is I can raise the height in the wells but cannot make the wider.   Pretty much the area hit by rust will be removed.   The regulations are ridiculous!  For one of the classes that I fit into I have to keep a minimum weight of 3500 lbs.   I wanted to weight alot less and might already be too light.  I've done a bit of reductions already.

Removed then replaced.  I will have to double check the regulations but from what I understand is I can raise the height in the wells but cannot make the wider.   Pretty much the area hit by rust will be removed.   The regulations are ridiculous!  For one of the classes that I fit into I have to keep a minimum weight of 3500 lbs.   I wanted to weight alot less and might already be too light.  I've done a bit of reductions already.

Yeah you are probably closer to 2500 stock, or even less.  Even with all the modifications you want to do I couldn't see you breaking 3k.

Good Luck.

Yeah you are probably closer to 2500 stock, or even less.  Even with all the modifications you want to do I couldn't see you breaking 3k.

Good Luck.

If I could put a supercharge LS7 and drive train I would make the weight. Haha!    I'm getting so much spoob for saying I wanna race the thing. Gonna work on the practical things like the suspension and alignment stuff. I figure everything I do is still replacing the old parts with strong better ones.

Maybe if I can get it built a little first then people will be more interested in seeing it bloom into the beautiful Martywagon.

Edited by zombieblues

If I could put a supercharge LS7 and drive train I would make the weight. Haha!    I'm getting so much spoob for saying I wanna race the thing. Gonna work on the practical things like the suspension and alignment stuff. I figure everything I do is still replacing the old parts with strong better ones.

Maybe if I can get it built a little first then people will be more interested in seeing it bloom into the beautiful Martywagon.

If you really wanted to for real race it then you should gut the whole car down to the unibody and start your build from there.  No point in using anything other than quality stuff too.  People would be reluctant to help you because they have their own projects they are funding for themselves and so far you have nothing other than "Here is my car, please make it a racecar".  You have not shown any progress on your project or that you are capable of accomplishing anything other than brain storming.  Give us a show of what you are doing and then maybe you still get a little support.

If you really wanted to for real race it then you should gut the whole car down to the unibody and start your build from there.  No point in using anything other than quality stuff too.  People would be reluctant to help you because they have their own projects they are funding for themselves and so far you have nothing other than "Here is my car, please make it a racecar".  You have not shown any progress on your project or that you are capable of accomplishing anything other than brain storming.  Give us a show of what you are doing and then maybe you still get a little support.

I understand!    I will be uploading images this weekend of the work I've done so far.  Once I get home I'm gonna pull the gofundme page and just do it myself.   I've been waiting to get this motor to pass emissions so I can actually take it to the places I need for the work.    I guess I was not thinking it through with placing the gofundme so early in the build.   Thank you for advise!

Good luck. I wish you the best, but I can't help feel like you're in way over your head.

Getting a legal cage in there, with an STi swap, and suspension that can withstand Baja abuse....$10k isn't going to scratch the surface. And even still, it'll probably be about as successful as Bill Caswell's Baja Pig (Broken steering a few miles from the start line).

Please don't take offense, I wish you the best of luck, and I will be watching. I'm just thinking realistically, with my experience with stage rally (Helped build a GC for Rally-America, and that was a LOT of off-the-shelf parts, engine, transmission, tubular suspension components, coilovers, etc. etc.).

• Like 1

Good luck. I wish you the best, but I can't help feel like you're in way over your head.

Getting a legal cage in there, with an STi swap, and suspension that can withstand Baja abuse....$10k isn't going to scratch the surface. And even still, it'll probably be about as successful as Bill Caswell's Baja Pig (Broken steering a few miles from the start line).

Please don't take offense, I wish you the best of luck, and I will be watching. I'm just thinking realistically, with my experience with stage rally (Helped build a GC for Rally-America, and that was a LOT of off-the-shelf parts, engine, transmission, tubular suspension components, coilovers, etc. etc.).

I'm not offended at all. I really do appreciate the help!   The STI swap is never going to happen haha.  I can dream right?    After tearing out all the internal trim and carpet I've found a few holes that were unnoticed before.  pretty much summing up that the car will never actually rally..   I'm going to call off the whole race car deal and work on making it more of a normal car that drives without falling apart.  Maybe in the years to come I can see about swapping for the STI and doing a custom suspension.