Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK, I have read other posts here about keeping tire sizes the same on awd and it seems none are conclusive...........The car I bought was actually a 1993  instead of a 1992 Legacy wagon with 223000 miles..The car is a FIVE SPEED and It runs GREAT. Only a few issues...

1) Park brake button is GONE ...

2)Both rear tires are gone on the inside they may have been rotated from the front?

Do I need to replace ALL four tires at the same time?

3)Right rear brake is scrubbing(probly just needs a brake job,rotor is a little rusty)

4)Driver shoulder belt thing does not move in the track. 

How or where do I fix the seat belt thing ?

5) Shifter needs bushings....Where to buy them?

Thats all I can think of now..Any responses are GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks in advance

#1) wrecking yard, #2) Yes , four matching tires,check your front end parts and alignment #3) Pads, rotors & possibly calipers, check that your calipers slide #4) Try lubing it, bang it with your hand to get it moving or wrecking yard, #5) dealer or ...wrecking yard.  1993 , 2.2 non interference motor,5 speed, good car ,keep it,fix it ,it will last for years.

Edited by montana tom

#2       bad rear springs can contribute to abnormal inner tire wear at the rear. At 223 K miles, good chance the rear springs are originals, so need replacing. How are the struts??

Not sure about the struts..or how to test rear springs....struts do not appear to be leaking and car does not  sway unusually when cornering..

#1) wrecking yard, #2) Yes , four matching tires,check your front end parts and alignment #3) Pads, rotors & possibly calipers, check that your calipers slide #4) Try lubing it, bang it with your hand to get it moving or wrecking yard, #5) dealer or ...wrecking yard.  1993 , 2.2 non interference motor,5 speed, good car ,keep it,fix it ,it will last for years.

Thanks Montana Tom..It will be a week or three before I can have some time with the car, I will try to keep you posted as I progress

• 1 month later...

UPDATE!!!!!

1) Park Brake-EASIEST THING I'VE EVER FIXED!!!!!-- the thumb button simply screws onto a threaded rod inside the handle..the spring goes in the handle first.I got one from a Kubota RTV that was trashed......IT FIT PERFECTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

2)Tires....BIT THE BULLET...4 NEW 70k mile tires..Less than $400.00 not upset..

3)Since the park brake fix,the scrubbing is somehow better...like that brake(right rear) was not working until I fixed the park brake....

4)Shoulder Belt Thing....Kind of tough...one broken wire between the door and body...that was tough to get to,but I fixed it.

5)Shifter bushings.......Still trying to find best solution..

You need an alignment. I just had my rear tires do the same, but to be fair the rear tires were junk yard pulls that had slight cupping to begin with. But car was getting inner/outers up front and the rear needed an alignment anyways. Was told they were really out, which makes sense as the rear crossmember had been replaced which messes everything up.

$400 for used tires with 70k miles? You got RIPPED off. If looking for a set of NEW tires on the cheap, can get them at tirerack.com and shipped to your door for next to nothing. Most places locally honor tirerack i.e. they'll install their tires (some places are jerks as they want you to buy their tires, but they get $10-15 a tire to mount and balance so dunno what the deal is) or you can do what I did and get Walmart to install tires. Paid $43 each for OK tires, plus another $15 each for the mount and balance. So far, they've been OK, Ride is good and noise is minimal. But I got a warranty and new tires for nearly half what you paid. 

Just to be PERFECTLY CLEAR.....I purchased 4 each BRAND NEW tires RATED at 70,000 miles wear.

I paid under $400.00 for the set,mounted,balanced,and installed..I do appreciate the feedback ,and an alignment is planned soon!!!

I LOVE MY SUBIE!!!   LOL :D