Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Struts comparison height and tire Clearence

Scott in Bellingham

Outback and forester struts give more Clearence for larger tires , I've searched and can't find a comparison between forester and outback struts, I would like to know what strut gives the most Clearence for larger tires, what years and model? This would be for the 90-99 legacy platform ,also what's available in the aftermarket maybe some rally coil overs , thanks guys. Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Read up on the thread bratman18 shared. PM me if you'd like for any additional info. Did this lift on my old 97 Impreza and had a great trail vehicle. About a 4 hour job if the car isn't too rusty.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/125873-adventure-subaru-lifted-1997-impreza-outback-lots-of-pics/?hl=%2B1997+%2Blifted+%2Bimpreza

there;s my build thread to get some more before and after perspective. You can go bigger with a body lift but the time, cost and hassle get much bigger.

Bratman is spot on. 98-02 forester struts have a lower rear spring perch than the 03-08 forester. But the 98-02 are .75" taller than the 03-08. The newer 03-08 forester struts offset that difference in the slightly larger tire/rear spring perch.

Rally coil overs arnt worth the price tag... 1500+ a set.. Worth more than most older Subsrus. Lol.

• 6 years later...

hello gentlemen, if any one knows... im trying to lift my 97 legacy a good bit, like maybe 6". right now its clearing just over 6" im using it to carry usps xD right hand drive and all. rural, so theres some bumpy roads. ive done my good bit of research and know 98-08 foresters are my bread and butter. i bought some 03-08 forester coil overs but they are like 4" shorter than my (maybe stock) air struts. (im very ignorant with suspension terms and overall car stuff so idk what i mean by air strut i just know its not a coil over lmao) im wondering if coil overs in general are shorter than air struts? please enlighten me subi Gods :headbang: thanks!!

Your struts will be oil filled if genuine units and gas filled if aftermarket - even if they’re KYB, aftermarket is gas. 

Oil/air/gas filled has nothing to do with coil overs, that just the design of the strut and are usually adjustable. 

Coilovers are usually used for lowering your vehicle and reducing its suspension travel for performance handling or a crushed disc if daily driven on crap roads.

Have a read of this as I think it might be what you need to know/do: 

https://www.offroadsubarus.com/threads/6839/ 

Hopefully that helps! 

Cheers 

Bennie