Ultimate Subaru Message Board

transmission

Is the transfer case and transmission married on a 1987 subaru gl 1.8  liter 4wd I have a seal in transfer case that cannot be replaced and is filling up with tranny fluid.Do i need just  another transfer case or  get another tranny too. Need someone who knows for sure. THANKS

yes - subaru's don't have a transfer case.  without getting semantically technical (i think they're called transaxles technically) - a Subaru transmission includes the front differential, transmission, and rear extension housing (which would do the work of the transfer case basically).

if you have internal failure it is normal to just swap the entire transmission.

an 87 gl wagon is an EA82 and a hatch is an EA81, i think that distinction may make a difference in which transmission you want.

i have an EA82 4WD trans but distance kills that.

You have asked similar questions 3 or 4 times now over several months. Is this car at a shop?

These cars dont have a seperate xfercase like your brothers blazer, its all one tranny. I can only guess that you have a 3at 3speed automatic and the fluid is leaking into (or between) the front part of the trans which is the final drive or vise versa. On this transmission the 4wd portion that one might call a transfercase uses the same atf that the tranny uses. The final drive which is in the front of the trans takes gear oil.

Finding another tranny is physically easier than replacing that seal. They are getting scarce tho.

Look at this pic, the auto trans is on the bottom. You can see 3 divisions in the body of the tranny, from left to right (back to front) : 4wd> trans> final drive.

post-16651-0-01861100-1434112526_thumb.jpg

Edited by ihscout54

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys i need some help with my 95 legacy lsi my atomatic transmission is not working properly when i put it on D is like if the trany is in neutral and on 3 gear is the same but wen i pu it on 2 or 1 it engages and i have to manually change the gears and at low sppeds the trany feels like is slipping reverse works and on the highway it works fine i just dont understand why wen i put it on drive it feels like in neutral