Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Water in passenger side back/brake light.

Hi..2002 outback Ltd. After going through the carwash or after a heavy rain there is water in the passenger side back up light/brake light housing that is located on the rear hatch.

When you open the rear hatch and pull open the access panel the water pours out around the bulb opening. There are no other wet spots on the roof panel or the floor. so I don't think it is the sunroof drains. I looked carefully for cracks in the plastic cover over the lights and did not see any.

Any ideas where it might be geting in? I am thinking of using clear silicone caulking but not sure where to start.

Thanks

I recall a problem with the seal between the lens and the body. Try good ole duct tape around the lens and see if that eliminates the leak. If it works, you will need to remove the lens and use a sealant as described and linked below on the forum.

Did a search (leaking tail light) here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/83830-how-to-remove-forester-tailight-assembly/

It talks about a ribbon of butyl sealer from windshield installers to reseat/reseal the lens against the body. 

BTW to remove the duct tape adhesive left behind after the test, the best and least aggressive method is olive or any really any vegetable oil on a rag.

This works for any adhesive, tar, etc.

Probably the lens has separated from the reflector housing somewhere along the top of the light.

The lights are easy enough to remove. Silicone along the top seam where the lens meets the housing. Then be sure to apply non-drying sealant (such as 3m weatherseal) to the back of the housing to prevent water from leaking into the trunk from behind the light.

Edited by Fairtax4me

Another approach that I have done in the past, is to use a very small drill bit, and drill a tiny hole at the bottom of the plastic lens to create a drain passage to let water drain out. After a couple of years, the hole may begin to fill in with crud. However, poking a needle in the hole opens up the drain passage once again.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I got some clear silicone caulk and applied it all across the top between the plastic cover and the body and then opened the hatch and caulked everything that had a space where water could get in  on the side of the hatch. Took it tthrough the car wash and "no water" ..guess I plugged wherever it was comming in.

Thanks again.