Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Appreciated Fellows,

Today, I was driving my beloved Subaru "BumbleBeast" doing my usual daily errands, when I noticed that the GearBox was noisier than it used to be; despite that somehow it always has been noisy when I left the gas pedal only; but now, besides that such described noise is louder, it also developed a New noise that sounded like a fast little gear, almost similar to a turbo whistle, but coming from inside the GearBox; that fast pitch noise is mainly noticeable during acceleration on Second Gear.

So, I came home to lunch, and right after that, when the Drivetrain cooled down, I went to check the dipstick on the GearBox, and it came out dripping dark fluid, it showed oil up to the full mark, then such oil was covered with something that seemed to be Water, whose mark went up more than Twice on the Dipstick, than the oily full mark. thshock1-1.gif

I did the old paper napkin Test: Let a drop from the dipstick to drip directly on a clean paper napkin, and the oil mark stayed dark and solid in the center, and a surrounding ring of wetness grown around: thus usually means Water in Oil. thshocked.gif

I have been with this Subie for the last thirty years and never experienced such a thing, nor in any other car, so I wonder...

How the Heck, water found its way inside the GearBox

Or could this be some sort of moisture buildup?

Please let me know your experiences with this issue / similar issues, the possible causes and ways to avoid it from happening again. thshock.gif

I check the fluids on my cars on a weekly basis, it was alright; and the last time I went driving on a pond, was ~ a year ago; also I've not washed the engine in around two years...

For those who don't Know, my Subie is a 1985 GL wagon with its original EA82 engine and 5MT GearBox, runs with a 2" Lift + 25" tires.

Kind Regards.

Has there been much rain around you lately? Is it possible that the dipstick was not seated completely and water could have been finding it's way in? Have you driven in the rain recently? Any big puddles?

Have you drained the fluid out yet to try and get a measurement on how much water it is compared to oil?

I have no good ideas for how it happened, but I think these are questions that may help if they are answered.

Time for a gear oil flush!

• Like 1

... Has there been much rain around you lately? ...

... Have you driven in the rain recently? Any big puddles? ...

Yes, there have been Downpours lately.

No, the Subie was in a Closed Garage during those Downpours.

Unlike my Wife's car who rest on the Street, my home only has a one car garage.

... Is it possible that the dipstick was not seated completely and water could have been finding it's way in? ...

Yes, maybe, somehow...

... Have you drained the fluid out yet to try and get a measurement on how much water it is compared to oil? ...

Not yet, but I'll do that as soon as Possible.

I just discovered that this afternoon...

... Time for a gear oil flush!

Yes for sure, but I'm in  "Low Budget mode"  still Jobless for almost a year now ... thresent.gif ... So I can't purchase fresh Oil for the Subie in this moments.  Meanwhile it must stay parked 'till I could afford another set of this oil, which was changed less than a couple of years ago:

... I also changed the Old Manual Transmission / Diff Oil with Fresh

Motul 80W~90 Gear Box Oil with MoS2 (Molybdenum Disulphide) Additive:

GearBoxOil.jpg

Kind Regards.

Aside from accumulated condensation over a long period of time, I can't add advice but encouragement.....yes!  Good luck on this wierd problem.  Quote, "

No, the Subie was in a Closed Garage during those Downpours.

Unlike my Wife's car who rest on the Street, my home only has a one car garage.
     ..........Hilarious!!!

• Like 1

If there is a lot of water it will settle to the bottom and should be able to drain most of it out. If not, then drain into a  container where the water will separate to the bottom. Either pour the top floating oil into another clean container or use a container that can be drained from the bottom in a controlled manner to let just the water out.

You probably won't get it all out but you will at least get some if not most of it out which is better than nothing.

• Like 2

the only way i see it going in is through the dipstick but your vehicle was in the garage when it was raining :/

everytime its going to rain i have to check my transmission dipstick since it likes to come up about an inch, enough for water to leak in. don't know why it does it, i guess engine vibrations, every 2 days or so its alittle out, i stopped caring to push it back in and seal it every 2days so i just seal it when its going to rain, my oil dipstick does the same thing too....

• Like 1

There is also a possibility that it is just condensed water. Gearbox oils tend to draw water from the humidity of air. There is also the possibility that the motul oil that you have used had some water contaminant in it already somehow. I don't remember if there is a breather in the transmission itself since that could be one place too. But really only way to find out how the water has got into the system is to do a full checkup for the gearbox. If it would have been there for long I think the oil should have turned milky like the engine oil when water/coolant leak is leaking to the oil system. Hope you can find the problem and that it's not anything major to fix. 

• Like 1

I've been using that Motul oils since the 1990's decade,

and during all these years, I've never experienced such a thing...

... "my Wife's car who rest on the Street, my home only has a one car garage".     ..........Hilarious!!!

Yes, but there is a bunch of good reasons behind that decision, as an Example: If the Kia gets vandalized and someone breaks any Glass, I can find hundreds of Kias in Local Junk Yards, but not a Single Subaru, also Kia is plenty of Dealer and Aftermarket Support, while Subarus are Orphan here... and also, the Kia is a car that doesn't attract the attention of almost nobody, while my "Radioactive Yellow Subaru" gets lots of Looks everywhere...

• Like 1

Now I know what Happened to my Subaru: Sabotage!

Yesterday's night while trying to sleep, I remembering where / when my Subaru has been alone, and the only place was Recently, at a "Friend's" paint shop, where I went to paint the Aluminium Wheels in Black. I left my subie there for a whole afternoon.

So, I went there today's early morning, explained the issue to him, and after asking all his employees, one claimed that he  "Saw someone playing with a plastic Bottle of purified Water around the Engine Bay"  but he doesn't know who it is, nor why that happened.  

As I don't have enemies and I never had problems nor fights with people, (I solve the issues talking, you know: I am a Lawyer), I believe that some Crazy guy with envy from good old cars, did that intentionally... and in the worst moment. 

How I Hate such destructive Behaviour:angry: 

Now my subie shall be kept stored unused for a while in the Garage...

Kind Regards.

• Like 2

that is some odd event to happen Jes :(

I'm not sure if you will be able to separate the water as easily as suggested.

I have found that fresh engine oil when water has trickled in via a welch plug - the water was on the bottom, so came out first as the drain plug was pulled. With an engine running to op temp, I think the heat and pressure causes the buttermilk mix so may be no water sepeartion going on at an easier level. At the skint level of finances, I would be trying to drain contents , then fill with plain engine oil as a flush .....been many manual gearboxes without diffs that have run with engine oil or even auto trans fluid ( I know..ATF ! )

Do you need a few of us to go around to 'talk' to the perp ?

• Like 1

Yes, also I Believe that the best thing to do is a Drain, letting the drain plug out all night Long.

However, I believe that there could have been some damage to the internals...

... Do you need a few of us to go around to 'talk' to the perp ?

It isn't necessary, the shop owner is a lost friend after the unfortunate event.

And nothing that I could ever say, will bring back the time...

Kind Regards.

This is horrible! I am sorry that someone intentionally poured water in your gear box, while at a friends establishment! I really hope that the bearings and gears haven't suffered too much damage, hopefully with a flush and some new gear oil, it will at least be a good as it was prior.

Still can't believe someone would do such a thing (Well, I can believe people can be so careless) but I'm just surprised it happened to you :(

If there is anything I can do, let me know! I will try me best to help you my friend.

-Tom

• Like 1

Try this:

Drain it, let it set with the plug and dipstick out for a good few days.  For drying out.

Put in new oil, or if the old oil will separate form the water and gunk, put it in.

Take it for a test drive.

• Like 2

Sorry to here about the sabotage but it does make sense.  Someone who is "green with envy" to do such a thing is just as bad as a thief.  However, I'm glad you figured it out JesZek.  Good luck with the drain and refill and like Tom said if there is a way I can help you, from a distance up here, please let me know.  I would help where I can.  Be well, Aaron

• Like 1

i note your pic is of the quart or one litre bottles, not the cheapest way to buy stuff here. You must know a garage that will fill a container for you from their bulk at a better price surely... or send your wife :) purely for the girls can get better attention aspect !

• Like 1

Did you leave the hood up or the car unlocked while it was there? I live in a pretty safe neighborhood and I never leave the car unlocked. Everywhere I go I always lock it up. To be betrayed by someone you thought was a friend has to hurt. I am sorry to hear that.

Do you think maybe it was an immature prank that went wrong or they definitely had sinister intent? I have read that crime in Honduras is pretty bad and bus drivers get hijacked regularly for ransoms.

Just remember that this too can be fixed. Heck your uncle mangled the bumblebeast and you fixed it then. Looks like you may be splitting a transmission. If you want to do the bearing and seals (ala GLoyale) , PM me and I will obtain them for your (No charge my friend). You have the TM70F 5 speed manual FWD trans? If so that is the same one I did last year.  I even did a video on it I never released. You will be amazed it shifts like brand new with those replacements.

Is there any way something can be shipped to you without you having to pay money to get it?

• Like 2

... your uncle mangled the bumblebeast and you fixed it ...

No my dear friend, my Uncle literally Destroyed my other yellow wagon, who was the 2.7 turbo Project, which is in Subaru heaven now, but that was an unfortunate accident, he is alright and it was not his fault. Life continued.

So, I painted my former White Wagon which I own since 1985 in yellow & black, after that, and it became the "BumbleBeast"

Did you leave the hood up or the car unlocked while it was there? ...

Yes. My mistake.

The Shop is at the top of a steep hill, so I climbed it in first gear at full throttle, they heard the Boxer Rumble yelling thru the Weber's throat and asked me about that noise, especially after they heard the car so quiet at slow speeds and idle after that; so I lifted the hood to show 'em my Weber Swap; then they asked me regarding other subjects, such like the Zip Ties on the Axles' rubber boots, my Relay Box swap, the H.I.D.'s, twin electric fans, etc, etc, etc...

I left the hood up and I went to pick the Wheels from the Subie's cargo area, two by two, then I went inside the shop to prepare the wheels to be painted. The shop owner and I were talking and also we were Hungry, so I offered him to invite Hamburguers, we went to pick a couple of Combos at Wendy's autoservice in his Car ... less than twenty minutes my "BumbleBeast" was left in that shop with his employees, with the Hood opened, but it was enough for an envious heart to do the Damage.

... Do you think maybe it was an immature prank that went wrong or they definitely had sinister intent? ...

No, it was Not a Prank.

In fact, seemed like the guy was looking for the Engine's Dipstick...

... If you want to do the bearing and seals ... Is there any way something can be shipped to you without you having to pay money to get it?

Thank you for your kind offer.

However, I always pay the shipping & Handling costs from my "Virtual Address" in USA to Honduras. Right now I can't accept your kind offer, I hope you'll understand. But I really appreciate your will of helping me. Thank You.

I'm confident it will be fine ...

... I really hope that the bearings and gears haven't suffered too much damage ...

Yes, me too...

... the girls can get better attention aspect !

Yes, sometimes my Wife obtains extra discounts at random stores.  :) 

... Drain it, let it set with the plug and dipstick out for a good few days ...

Yes, I opened the Plug since Yesterday's night...

Now I'm going to sell some stuff / obtain the new Transmission Oil.

I hope I could obtain a new Job, soon...

... Good luck with the drain and refill ...

Thank you all, for your kind offers of Helping me, which I really appreciate.

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

wow crazy story. One the positive side, at least its an issue that can be overcome by flushing the tranny oil. Although it is a set  back, at least it doesn't represent some other catastrophic failure that could have been more expensive. So this individuals intent to ruin your car seem to have fallen short! Let us know when you get it back on the road! If he was green with envy before, I wonder what color he will turn when he sees the bumble beast cruising around like nothing even happened in the near future!  :headbang:

• Like 1

Agreed.. "One Crazy Story"!!

Hopefully, no damage done inside of the trans.

Thinking that I would do my best to get some ATF to do a flush before putting new gear lube in. Even if it is just a couple quarts of used ATF, it would help.

And I am with Mr_Loyale..

There has to be a way for those of us on this Board that want to do so, to send you a Care Package directly to your home.

You have given so much to the Members on here with all of your write-ups, and other informative threads.

We would like to return the favor.

Tom

• Like 5