Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine code for a blown head gasket?

There's no specific code that says "blown head gasket" because that's a mechanical issue that the computer can not monitor.

There are codes that can be caused by the effects of a bad head gasket, such as misfire codes, P0420, cooling fan operation/temperature regulation codes, etc., depending on the failure mode of the gasket and what running conditions it is causing.

What codes do you have, or what symptoms lead you to believe you have a bad head gasket?

• Like 1

Hey! Thanks for your reply!

The car is for sale at an upcoming auction. It says "Engine blown" in the report, but I can get it to turn over. Not start. If the engine was seized it would not turn over right? I checked the oil and it looked clear. So I am wondering if it could be something else. Like the starter not engaging. Any way, I thought I would see if it had any codes to help me Diagnose it. 

more details on car would help.

just guessing, either slipped timing w/bent valves (likely- can you pull the covers to inspect?) (hold a slip of paper at the tailpipe while someone cranks the engine - if the paper tries to 'suck in' - you know an exhaust valve is open when it shouldn't be.)

severe HG leak preventing starting?

if you can get the codes, write them down to post them. But clear them, try to start the car, re-read the codes.

can you spray some carb cleaner or ether start in the intake while trying to start it to see if it tries to fire?

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

You should be able to tell if the starter is engaging.

Plan on replacing the motor and bid accordingly, if it is repairable you're in luck. If not hopefully the winning auction price warrants being able to afford a replacement engine if necessary.

You always roll the dice with an auction, in most cases you should plan for the worst.

"Blown engine" in this case probably means jumped timing belt.

When it turns over does it sound smooth, maybe with an occasional chug?

Or does it chug chug in consistent increments?

Smooth fast crank means jumped timing, and depending on the year, bent valves.