Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alternator upgrade options for 95 Outback

Looking like the alternator on my Outback is getting weaker and was wanting to see about upgrade options for it.  Is there a drop in replacement that is a higher output than the stock 85 amp from another model that won't require any modifications to the wiring?

I think some folks with older soobs have used a higher output alternator from Nissan Maximas ???

what symptoms do you have? You could have a local rebuilder rebuild you alternator, you'll spend a little and wait a coupla days but have a MUCH better unit than what you get from a parts store.

Also, there is a special part number for Subaru rebuilt alternators and folks say they are good.

I had used a local guy to rebuild the alternator(s) for my Brat many years ago and they didn't really turn out like I wanted them to.

The voltage while idling was pretty low the other day when I checked it. Was around 13 volts and from what I gather, should be around 14. The headlights will dim slightly when I hit the brakes and the turn signal will make the blower motor slow down as it blinks.

Anytime that you upgrade your alternator to one with higher amperage output you should also upgrade the wiring.  The stock wiring is designed for the stock alternator amperage and not much higher.  If you go higher and start to draw that higher amperage you are looking at a electrical fire at the worst and melted insulation at the best.