Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Funky smell in the air conditioner

Yes, I'm a newb, so take it easy...

Yesterday, my 2011 Subaru Impreza started acting up. Here's everything I know

• A funky, burning-like smell started coming from the air conditioner
  • I opened up the hood and there was just a tiny bit of smoke coming out. I found some oil that had dripped from the oil filter to what looks like the exhaust manifold
  • Checked the oil, it was between empty and full and still had good color - I used synthetic last time I changed it
  • I was able to just barely hand-tighten the filter - it was on there pretty good
  • I do not get any warning lights that it's overheating or anything like that.

So, I figure it's probably the oil that is hitting the exhaust manifold, heating up and smoking, which is then induced into the air conditioning which is what I smell. BUT, where is the oil coming from - could it be from something other than the oil filter seal?

Thanks for your help

• 4 years later...

It is called dirty socks syndrome. Dirty sock syndrome is the foul, moldy smelling odor that comes from your air conditioner when you first turn it on. It is caused by the build-up of mold and bacteria on your evaporator coil. ... This heat mixed with dust and moisture in the darkness of your AC unit is the perfect recipe for dirty sock syndrome. Anyway, any good air conditioner service would solve that easily. Such as https://www.socool.sg/.

Edited by Saturn2020

• 7 months later...
On 3/4/2020 at 6:23 PM, Saturn2020 said:

It is called dirty socks syndrome. Dirty sock syndrome is the foul, moldy smelling odor that comes from your air conditioner when you first turn it on. It is caused by the build-up of mold and bacteria on your evaporator coil. ... This heat mixed with dust and moisture in the darkness of your AC unit is the perfect recipe for dirty sock syndrome. Anyway, any good aircon service would solve that easily. Such as subcool.sg

Really?

Just to show off your talent?

Edited by Laughitloud