Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I broke the glass in the back window of my wagon. The glass costs way more than the entire hatch and I don't have the tools or experience to switch the glass. So I am curious what years hatch is compatible with mine. The local junk yard has 20 or so 1995-1997 in various L, LS, LSI outback models. If I am lucky I will even find it in silver. They want $80 for the entire back hatch. 

As far as I know, parts for the 1996 either fit the 2.2 or 2.5. Mine is a 2.2.   

Pretty sure any leggie wagon from 95-99 will fit your 96 wagon. Engine size has nothing to do with compatibility of rear hatch fit. It is a two man job to remove, or install an entire hatch, because they are really heavy and bulky.

On any replacement hatch from a yard, be sure the latch handle works properly. Over time, the latch can rust, and bind up, and not work properly. Best to buy a hatch with a good working latch.

Hi,

The local yard SHOULD have interchange for this. Look on car-part.com for interchange, too. 

Remember, the '96-'99 OB/GT (?)  had the raisED roof, which may affect this, but a quick look on car-part shows any will fit.

I did this rear hatch swap for the same reason on my step-son's '96 Brighton.  We removed the wiring from the old rear gate / hatch b4 removal and reinstalled it on the new(er) gate - we did NOT cut anything....not hard, just tedious.

Here's another THREAD on here to review.

Beware of different light configurations on the hatch. I see one with red on white with white reverse lights and another with red on yellow with white reverse lights. 

I think the white was on Euro models but I am not positive. Just a heads up for future readers. 

Hi,

The local yard SHOULD have interchange for this. Look on car-part.com for interchange, too. 

Remember, the '96-'99 OB/GT (?)  had the raisED roof, which may affect this, but a quick look on car-part shows any will fit.

I did this rear hatch swap for the same reason on my step-son's '96 Brighton.  We removed the wiring from the old rear gate / hatch b4 removal and reinstalled it on the new(er) gate - we did NOT cut anything....not hard, just tedious.

Here's another THREAD on here to review.

Another variation..........I have a 98 OBW Limited, with what appears to be a small spoiler built into the top of the hatch. Looks like it is designed to keep rain water from running down the hatch glass, or maybe it is just there to look good. I also have a 99 OBW, that is not the Limited model. It does not have the small spoiler. Just small variations. I think if you are at a yard, and you see a hatch that looks exactly like yours from a 95-99, then it will fit your car.