Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey all,

I Just bought a 1998 Legacy with the 2.5l engine. (For $100!!)

I fixed the front bearing.

Took it for a ride and then noticed 3 things:

1) the engine was smoking.

2) it stank like fuel near the rear.

3) the running lights kept clicking on off on off on off.  

So I assume that the engine was smoking from the oil leak dripping on the exhaust. Is there a seal on these babies that goes regularly? I will check the gas tank filling hose for cracks etc and pull the relay that keeps clicking.

If anyone else has had any one of these problems I would love to hear about your experience.

Thanks for reading

Yoyo

That 2.5L is prone to head gasket failure.  Subaru's have some common leaks, but I would suspect valve cover gaskets and rear separator plate as the primarys.  If the timing belt is due, or overdue, or they didn't do it when the timing belt was done, you can expect the front camshaft seals and crank seal to be leaking as well.  Another possible leak point is the oil pump.

And that fuel smell could be a fuel filler tube.  Have you pulled codes on it?  If the check engine light isn't on, it could be burnt out.

Edited by lstevens76

As mentioned, valve cover gasket most likely where it leaks oil.

timing belt most likely needs changed. If it breaks, then the valves get bent, and expensive work ensues.

When engine is warm look for air bubbles in the over flow radiator tank. That is a good indicator of head gasket trouble.

It is actually the gasoline metal fill pipe that rusts out. Pull off the road wheel, remove the plastic cover over the fill pipe to see how much rust has gathered on the fill pipe.

I have a 98 Leggie, so have had to address all the above problem areas. Otherwise, Subarus are great cars. Well made, and last a long time.