Ultimate Subaru Message Board

As part of my timing belt change on my '99 outback 2.5 DOHC (discussed in another posting), I had to remove the tensioner for the belt that drives the A/C compressor.  When I put the car back together, I noticed that the two bolts that hold this tensioner to the block did not screw all the way in (short by about .5 cm), leaving the tensioner a bit loose. 

• I know they are the correct bolts since immediately when I removed the tensioner I put the bolts back in their holes on the block. 
  • I tried swapping the two bolts for one another but that didn't help.
  • When I put the belt on and put it under tension, it seemed to lock it in.

Still, this does not seem correct.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Are there some washers behind the tensioner that I didn't know about and dropped?

Edited by ColoradoExile

I have a 99 Leggie Outback wagon. Recently replaced the A/C belt you described. I have never had any trouble tightening the tensioner. It is a 2 bolt arrangement. Long vertical bolt to create proper belt tightening, the second bolt on the tensioner to "lock in " the tension. No washers used.

Send a photo of what yours looks like, if you have not already figured it out.

Correct, Fairfax.  The two bolts that secure the tensioner to the bracket would not thread in all the way.  They do have 12 mm heads and I am certain that they were the ones that were in there originally.

Thank you Rooster for your reply.  The bolt and nut you refer to worked fine.  It's the two bolts that secure the whole tensioner assembly to the block that don't screw in all the way.