Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steering Wheel Vibration

rabbidrabbit

97 Legacy Sedan.

I have a vibration in my steering wheel. I have noticed it is always there but doesn't get real noticable till about 45. I have check tie rods and they are fine. I did get a left/right shake play in the wheel when checking for play. This is why I pulled the tie rod boots back to check them. With the boots pulled back noticed the play was in the rack(Steering wheel locked) which also caused the steering wheel to move left/right(is this normal?). Tracking down the vibration is driving me crazy. I know it is not tires, and no weird wear. I swapped out struts/springs(for lift) from a 99 Outback Wagon and the problem is still there.

97 Legacy Sedan.

I have a vibration in my steering wheel. I have noticed it is always there but doesn't get real noticable till about 45. I have check tie rods and they are fine. I did get a left/right shake play in the wheel when checking for play. This is why I pulled the tie rod boots back to check them. With the boots pulled back noticed the play was in the rack(Steering wheel locked) which also caused the steering wheel to move left/right(is this normal?). Tracking down the vibration is driving me crazy. I know it is not tires, and no weird wear. I swapped out struts/springs(for lift) from a 99 Outback Wagon and the problem is still there.

Sounds like there is something worn in the steering rack, it should not have that much play in it .

Experiencing the exact same symptoms on a recent 1500 mile  trip. Got home and the steering wheel "wobble" became more pronounced. Did an inspection under the car and noticed the right  side of the rack was coming apart. Replaced the rack and problem solved. 1995 Legacy with almost 300K miles.