Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone know where to find an EA71 control arm? How do I know if it's shot?

Hi folks,

I just took my 1980 Brat in for a safety inspection (part of the process of importing it into Canada).  I was told that my front passenger control arm is shot and needs to be replaced.  I'm hoping for a second opinion as my understanding is that I just needed to replace the inner tie rod.  Two questions:

1) What should I look for to determine if the control arm is shot (it's a Nevada car, rust free and in good shape - just drove across the country)

2) Where could I find a control arm if need be?  I've emailed Mountain Tech Subaru and I'm waiting to hear back.

This is somewhat time sensitive as I've got about 30 days to complete the importation, though I'm sure I could figure out an extension if need be.

Thanks as always, look forward to hearing your advice!

The bushing can wear out. Can be replaced but it's not a, "press out the old-press in the new" thing.

Been a few people post on here that they destroyed the arm trying to do so.

Best way to do it is;

remove arm from vehicle'

drill down thru the rubber between the outer bushing shell and it's inner steel sleeve for the thru bolt, try to remove as much rubber as you can,

take a hacksaw blade and cut thru outer bushing shell with out hitting the sleeve of the arm itself,

now you can work the old bushing sleeve out of the arm sleeve with hammer and punch/chisel.

Once old stuff is out, new can be pressed in.

It's during the attempt at removing the old one that damage is done if trying to press it out.

Did they tell you what they found, other than the control arm is bad?

Edited by TomRhere
  • Like 1

Tom,

Thanks so much for such a detailed explanation.  I'm waiting to hear back about availability from a couple of places & hoping it's just my tie rod.  I'll keep everyone posted and if anyone else out there has a EA71 passenger control arm, feel free to give me a holler.  I'm not yet certain I've found one.