Ultimate Subaru Message Board

bogging acceleration after adding weber

I put a brand new weber on my 83 wagon and then took it for a test drive. it accelerated slower in first gear and didnt have any power at any RPM in 2nd gear. Im wondering if anyone could try to tell me what i might have screwed up when i put the carb on. I was hoping to gain power instead of losing it.

Also the car wont idel until it warms up. I has the electric choke. I conected the origonal hitachi wires to the weber, but the hitachi had two extra wires that went to a triangle shaped piece that actuated some sort of plunger. I couldnt find anywhere those might attach to the weber. That is my only idea on why the idle is bad.

Thanks

David

I'm definatly no expert, but you might try advancing the timing up to 10 to 12 degrees and then retuning the carb. Also might check to see if there was power to the electric choke or not. Did you buy the redline carb kit (K730 or 731?) that is properly jetted for our application?

I'm definatly no expert, but you might try advancing the timing up to 10 to 12 degrees and then retuning the carb. Also might check to see if there was power to the electric choke or not. Did you buy the redline kit (K730 I believe) that is properly jetted for our application?[/Quote]

Also might look into getting an electric fuel pump as well, if you dont have it already. Webers like to have ~3.5psi as opposed to the stock hitachis' 1-2 psi(i think). May need a AFPR depending on the pump. Just hook it inline to the Weber and use the stock pump to feed it.

Webers dont like to be cold, but they can idle no problem when there cold. They just work better when warm ;) . I dont know how the electric chokes work on the webers' as Ive always been fond of pulling the handle to start :) .

Hope this helps,

Jay

Thanks for the help i'l give them all a try, it is the redline kit from carbs unlimited. Do you guys have any ideas for a better fuel pump i know people were running pumps out of other cars. I set the fuel air screw to what was in the directions. Im actualaly glad that it is problay something to do with the carb because this car is seeming to take forever to get running, and all i need is another problem.

Thanks

David

I would look for vacuum leaks. Your description of it not idleing till warm indicates a potential vacuum leak, or bad adjustment of the idle mixture and speed screws. The stock fuel pumps work fine normally, so I would look elsewhere as long as you are getting fuel. The NAPA fuel filters (under hood) are made by WIX, and are clear so you can see if the filter is full or not.....

GD