Ultimate Subaru Message Board

distributor stuck in block

im having bad luck lately on my soobs.

trying to get a disty out of a carb ea82 motor i have.

the sucker is stuck. way stuck. motor turns over and disty turns correctly. ive got it unbolted, i have sprayed it underneath tom help loosen, it barely moves or turns even if you would be trying to adjust the timing.

ive pryed on it gently and tapped on it gently. im starting to get way less gentle.it will move back and forth now about 1/2 inch. it will move up about 1 millimeter.

usually these things come out in 2 seconds!

aarrrggghhh!!!

Mr. Snowstormer- The FSM for an efi E82 (90) states the following for distributor disassembly:

1. Detach cap and dust cover as a unit.

2. Remove carbon point from cap.

3. Remove rotor head securing screw and detach rotor head from rotor shaft.

4. Remove O-ring from housing.

5. Drive roll pin out of shaft and pinion.

6. Remove pinion from shaft.

That's it. Review steps 4 and 5. Note: FSM says "use new roll pin when installing pinion". Hope this helps.

Good tips Bill, but those directions are , as stated, for distributor disassembly. Gotta get the damn thing out before you have to go worrying about roll pins and stuff like that :)

just keep working on it.Spray, twist, pull.. It will have to give up eventually.

I have seen this problem on "Domestic" cars and trucks with iron blocks........A small crowbar has served me well each time :eek: . Don't try this on your engine.........

You may need to remove your cam case as a last resort to get it out.............also, it seems to me that rotating the disty one way and turning the rotor so the gear wants to "ride up" on the drive gear may help "lift" it out................I can't think at the moment which way that would be.......sorry.

get behind it with a hammer and smack it in an upward motion agianst the mounting tabs, be careful, itsd aluminum, ise a plastic hammer or a rubber mallet. a regular hammer can do if youre not destructive with it. it will pop out after a good whacking, as the o-ring wont let go without force

I have to use a 3lb sledge and a bar to get it to move. She is in there good. I have been spraying it with a pentatrator oil every once and a bit. I don"t have much time to spend on it being it is my daily now.

heep70-

a word of advice for someone who is-was in the same boat.

take your time and keep spraying, twisting, and LIGHT prying.

these things WILL break. how do i know? i just broke one yesterday.

i know, im a dumb**** but after 2 days of dinkin with it, i got impatient and used a little too much force, cracked the alum shaft right by the o-ring.

so i went to get another one out of another block and it came out in 2 seconds just like the last 5 times ive pulled one out.

patience is a virtue i have yet to learn 100 percent of the time.

good luck.

At the mount, all that was left with the ring that you bolt the disty too.

I had to get underneath, and use a loonnggg socket extension and a 3lb hammer and lots of p.b. blaster. and beat the hell out of it from the bottom.

Had a junkyard disty from a 2x4 anyways... to put back in.

after I found tdc, slipped it back in, fired up.. was off a tooth, pulled it up, turned it, and backed it back down and was able to adjust it properly for timing

has worked perfect ever since.

Mike