Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What to do with my '92 Loyale...

Hi Subardudes/ettes.

I am fresh to the forum, hailing from Portland, OR.  I am seeking advice on a car that I like, one that is beginning to test me, but one that I think I may marry myself to.  At least, she is worthy of seeking advice upon :)

I have a 1992 Loyale 4WD (push-button) wagon, with roof rack.  It has been an adventure-mobile.  I would like it to be even moreso.  The engine is leaking oil typically I believe, but leaking all over, and over the last year has been burning more -  I top off a quart per tank of gas.  But I'm getting tired of the smoking, I'm trying to quit.  It has broken down on me just once, we put a new distributor cap/rotor in, and it seems to be an improvement.   But we'll see what happens when it gets hot out again.

I like the car enough that I would consider a rebuild.  I do not want an outback, and I don't know if I'll get my hands on a 2.2L Impreza in my budget.  However, my one struggle with the Loyale is the lack of power - I am considering having a 2.2 installed.

I don't know much about cars, but I know there is more to consider.  I am looking for the pertinent questions to ask as to whether it will be worthwhile to upgrade this particular car.   Electrical?  Power distribution?  Transmission?  Everything?  The car runs decent at this point, minus the recent breakdown, but it seems like it would be worth it.

Next I need an idea of what accompanies the transfer over to a 2.2L - and will this add up to several thousands of dollars?  I could have the current engine rebuilt for under $2000.

OR, is there another engine that could go in there that will give me some more power?

Thanks so much, feel free to post links to articles/threads, I can do the research.

~rj

I would swap in a ej22 if your going to rebuild the ea82. ej22's have twice the horsepower. You could pic up a legacy fairly cheap and reseal the motor. The block in my hatch has 190k on it with rebuilt heads and it runs great with tons of power. Depending on whether you want to go to awd or d/r 4wd the conversion varies. You can mount in a ej trans to go awd or stay 4wd and get a ej to ea adapter plate. Talk with Patrick at ADF he can help you figure out what you want/need http://andersondesign-fab.com/. His user name is Prwa101.

Edited by turbosubarubrat
  • Like 1

You are in a very tough spot. If I were in that position, I'd put a 2.2 in it, no question. But, I'd be doing it myself, I'm very comfortable buying a donor car or engine.

If your car is a manual transmission, I wouldn't change anything other than the engine. Leave all the body, suspension, transmission, radiator, etc. Just get an engine, wiring, ecu, adapter plate, and a new clutch. Then enjoy more power (you don't have to drive it hard to appreciate it, it's so noticeable across the entire rpm range and how much less the engine has to work), more reliability, and better mileage (that, of course, depends on several factors, but generally has been my experience).

But, since you'd be having someone do it, you need to find that person. The expertise/labor is what's going to drive up the cost. I could pretty easily scare up all the parts for $1k, but a shop that's completely unprepared will drive up the labor costs. A specialty shop is going to charge a premium hourly rate, but probably do a much better job in much less time. A person with the right combination of equipment, space, time, and knowledge could easily get it done for you for less than your EA82 rebuild.

Edited by Numbchux
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks y'all, I am more optimistic about doing the swap and keeping the Loyale.  I am finding some folks that are willing to do the project too.  If you have any other resources or references for the Portland area, you can swing them my way.

Much obliged

Ronjon

Ronjon, if you're planning to lift the car, you might consider doing that before or during the engine swap - otherwise you'll have to reconfigure the radiator hoses, wiring clearance, heater hoses, pitch stopper, and exhaust ... all twice. 

PS I'm selling a lift kit ;)

there are a few shops in the area that are part of the community here.  I believe Gloyale has a setup south of Oregon, Scott in Bellingham is who runs SJR and makes most of the swap adapters.  If General Disorder is still around he has a shop local and may be willing to do it.  Last time I talked with him it was around $2500 parts and labor for the swap, but that was turn key and he knows his stuff.  No idea if hes still around, was a couple of years ago.

the basic swap is doable by any decent mechanic, but make sure whoever does it can trouble shoot well.  That means having the knowledge and tools to find the actual problem. With any custom work like this you have to narrow down issues or you will be chasing your tail till rapture.

the basics of what you will need to do are

obtain an EJ, with full wireing harness and computer, and exhaust manifold

transmission adapter plate, machined flywheel (SJR sells a kit)

What clutch you use depends on flywheel and transmissions used, might be an odd model but everyone I've seen uses a Subaru one of some type (EJ, XT6, etc).

most people have the wireing harness stripped of all non used wires.

of course many things may need replaced such as hoses, cables, and such.  plan on some exhaust work and light modifications to fit the motor mounts at least.

I would try the above mentioned people to see if they would take on the project, or maybe recommend a member locally.  I cant remember his online tag here but there's someone who does a lot of mod work at a small shop off of sandy and I205.  would be a good place for parts if nothing else.  If I remember right its just north and west of sandy and I205.  its an older gas station with repair bays, will have a ton of Subaru's in a gated area outside.  Again its been a while so no idea if they are still there or active.