Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Howdy! I just bought a barn-find 85 BRAT.

EA82 5 speed four wheel drive has a top 12 o'clock possy for the clutch fork , no ? EA81 is an hour or so to one side ....

No, the TO fork is in the same place on EA81 & EA82. Also, you do not need the pedal, box or cable. The 4 spds didn't have a 3.7, they had a 3.9 so unless someone put in an RX tranny or a FT4wd turbo trans, it's still 3.9. 5th gear is the same ratio as 4th gear in the 4 spd. The difference in the gears is split between 2nd & 3rd. You will notice no change in freeway performance. In town, if that is your main use, you will as you're not lugging or rapping the crap out of the engine to make the next gear. My in town MPG went up 2MPG after my swap, highway did nothing.

You can pull the CB (which I would anyways) and mount  a decent CD player. You will most likely have to make a spacer. I have a Blaupunkt in mine. The spacer I used was 1/2" plywood and painted gray to try and match console. One thing I did not do and wish I had was route off the edges to rounded. I bought 6x9 speaker boxes that went behind the seats. Installed component speakers in the front. Made up mounts for the tweeters in the factory front location, think I used 1/4" plywood, mounted the tweeters to the plywood and mounted the plywood to were the little front speakers sit in the dash. The doors I trimmed to take 5 1/4" speakers. If you don't want to go that route the door speakers are 4" to the best of my memory.

If I am not mistaken the steering wheel looks just like my 87 Brat steering wheel. Still a beauty!! RS and WRX seats will fit with minor work and are awesome. I can't remember for sure but I think my seats are 04 RS, the same as a WRX minus the air bags. I think from 05 up all had air bags, may be mistaken though.

Are the person the seller bought it from having already installed the 5 speed and the seller knows no different. We shall know soon when it arrives in NC! Last time I looked up ratios, many years ago, seemed the EA82 5 speed had a lower ratio 5th compared to the EA81 4 speed unless you are talking about the very early 80's EA81. Not a deal breaker but I m pretty sure on that. The EA82 5 speed is a slightly stronger transmission and does have a slightly lower low range. Just the same my EA81 4 speed has been pretty good. I fixed the slop in the shifter many, many years ago and it has not returned. Nearing 240k miles and needed nothing but an occasion fluid change. I run MT90 in mine. It works good enough I see no reason to change unless it craps it's guts out.

EA 82 5 speed is the best performance, reliability and driving improvement you can do to an EA 81 vehicle just match the final drive ratio to the box, And Jono that is a standard Brat dash and being LHD they can get away with the four speed clutch cable unlike us where we have to adapt the EA 82 cable and mod the clutch pedal.

I agree mod it to your hearts content as long as it can be returned to standard easily is the go