Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1988 DL Coup won't start.

Howdy, 

My Subaru won't start all of a sudden. I am new to this car, so bear with me. I will explain what I have observed. 

Upon turning the key to a point the lights turn on the fuel pump in the rear makes a "Rrrrrrr... Rrrrrrr" Sound with about a one-and-a-half second pause between sounds. This happened before but the car would start and then there would be a constant "rrrrr" sound. 

There was a situation not so long ago where I cranked for a while longer than I'd like to, and it did start. 

The fuel pump and fuel filter look brand new. But my first assumption to this point is that I must have been too low on gas and they got gummed up. However, I must consider than the sound is normal. Again, I'm a newb. 

Did a firing test. Definitely firing. 

Suggestions, ideas, knowledge? 

Update 1: After letting the starter attempt to do it's job for about five or six seconds the car did start and does start every time after. However, I do not know if that means the problem is somehow solved. The idle itself on the first rough-start was fine, but became more adequate all of a sudden with a higher RPM. I will be doing a cold start soon to see if I experience the same difficulty.

Update 2:  I let the fuel pump oscillate two to three times before attempting a start. After actually running or being on a trip it starts right away. The short (if there truly was one) is also gone. I have not experienced difficulty to start anymore. I assume it was dirty fuel causing inadequate pressure. But really, I don't know. 

Edited by Casull

fuel pump may look new, but is it ? Got factory part numbers on it ? I suspect you have a spfi - throttle body fuel injection ? The efi fuel pumps don't last forever if original, can do with a tap from a hammer either before or during start attempt

Thank you. So far so good today. I also have an interesting dilemma. My AC/HEAT controls are mostly unmarked. Anyone have a photo of any that are in tact? I have a feeling mine has no "off" button like I've seen...

I will update the main part of the thread as I discover more about what is going on. Largely good to go through today after keeping it going and all.