Ultimate Subaru Message Board

after market timing belt and water pump

Hi All   - 2009 Outback  -  I am replacing timing belt and water pump.  Does anyone have any experience with after market timing belts?  I have heard to use only Subaru water pump, but have also been told that the after market timing belt manufacturer is also the Subaru supplier.    Any thoughts? Thanks!  

Plenty of people use aftermarket kits from eBay. MizumoAuto is usually the least expensive and their kits are decent quality, though it is helpful to supplement their kits with a water pump and thermostat gasket from Subaru.

TheImportExperts.com sells high quality kits that contain OE quality Mitsuboshi or Subaru OE Belt, NSK NTN or Koyo idlers and tensioner, and Aisin or Paraut water pump (with quality gaskets) usually for about 1/2 the price of going to the dealer.

They also have less expensive kits similar in quality to the eBay kits.

• Like 1

Several years back, I bought a complete tb, water pump, idlers, and oil seals kit on line from ebay motors. I don't remember any of the brand names of products in the kit, but all has worked well for about 4 years now. Kit was a lot less expensive compared to cost from buying from a Sub dealer.

• Like 1

I bought a MizumoAuto kit (no-name belt + idlers etc + Aisin water-pump).

After 39,000 miles, the no-name belt had transverse cracks on the flat side, opposite each tooth. Quite unsatisfactory. I've asked MizumoAuto for the manufacturer's name for that belt, but no reply.

The OEM Subaru belt, that I replaced at 101,000 miles, looked like new.

• Like 1

Hi All   - 2009 Outback  -  I am replacing timing belt and water pump.  Does anyone have any experience with after market timing belts?  I have heard to use only Subaru water pump, but have also been told that the after market timing belt manufacturer is also the Subaru supplier.    Any thoughts? Thanks!  

I bought a Dayco timing belt and a Bosch Water Pump on Ebay for $185 total. That Includes All new pulleys and tensioners! Approx. $40 cheaper than any local Auto Parts Store with discounts. I replaced them in March 2014. Everything feels and sounds Ok. And I YouTubed the Replacement Procedure of both "Brainsmobile" and "Eric the Car Guy"; Incredibly Helpful ! God Speed