Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Prevent theft

My dad helped me wire the ignition to the cigarette lighter plug, car woun't turn on unless the key is foward and you press down the cigarette button at the same time, obviously i got rid of the coil that gets hot and glows red inside, wish i knew how my dad did it but unfortunately this was 4years ago when i didn't know much about cars, should be pretty simple though, but haven't had a reason to take it apart and see exactly how he did it, old 80's trick...

hope this gives you an idea.

• Like 1

Have a car that's one of a kind that can be identified so easily that they would be stupid to steal it. You can pull the coil fuse out to make it not start. Have a steering wheel club. Battery quick disconnect. Have a push button for the starter. 

You might want to re-key all the locks as well. I have heard, a worn key can be used to open/start any older subaru.

The way the tumbler is designed on these is when you stick in a wrong key in the ignition switch  it can break the tumbler making it get stuck. Subaru only made 20 something different keys for the 80's subaru's. 

• Like 1

A hack saw to the steering wheel would make the club useless. And having a removable steering wheel won't stop a person if they really wanted the car. Just ask my brother his got stolen with out a steering wheel!! Only thing that has kept my cars from being stolen is kill switch or the "chip" but I don't recommend the chip. I've broken mine n it can't be replaced.

Hey Bratbro, if one in 50 thieves would go to the trouble using a hacksaw to cut the club lock then bad luck hey. It would make the other 49 move on to easier targets. And the club is in addition to the kill switch.

As I said the real purpose of the club lock is to make most thieves move onto the next car....a deterrent. Any deterant should not be discounted totally as you have suggested.

All measure should be taken into consideration yes. My point was it takes less then a minute to saw through the steering wheel then pull the club out. Deterant wise I would be more intimidated by a flashing light that looks like a alarm. Either way you have good points as well. Hope this helps the guy out. Have a good one guys.

• Like 1

can i get some help on installing a switch or something to prevent theft of 1990 loyale?

Thank you.

I will tell you an easy way. On the starter near the back there is a small wire with a spade connector. Disconnect that wire. If someone "hot wires" the car it will only make clicking noises.

• Like 1

If you have a Manuel tranny, ive read that having that alone can reduce your chances of having your car stolen by up o 40%. 

The gear grinding sound at 3 am, followed by sounds of a stalling car and whispered cuss words are your clues your car is being stolen.

• Like 1

visible steering wheel lock is about a 90% deterrent for the average plick thinking of pinching your car. The above average might even come in here to read of the various no start methods to investigate - hmm, though most must know of the old push the lighter in, power up the antennae, look under dash for a switch trick - best not advertised here though.

I use visible steering lock, leave glovebox open to display nothing but rubbish, barrel style dead lockable door locks ... then there is the squarker alarm

the stearing wheel locks dont work at all they bend in the middle with very little force i had a employer that lost the keys to there club brand wheel lock i walked back to the truck 30 seconds later with the bent club in hand i dont think they liked that though i dident have a job the next day oh well

The gear grinding sound at 3 am, followed by sounds of a stalling car and whispered cuss words are your clues your car is being stolen.

Yep. I think the reason having a manuel makes you a less likely target is because --at least in the USA-- hardly anyone knows how to drive them anymore. The majority of cars out there are automatics, which take no prior experience to drive other than the very basics

Edited by Sapper 157
  • Like 1

Yep. I think the reason having a manuel makes you a less likely target is because --at least in the USA-- hardly anyone knows how to drive them anymore. The majority of cars out there are automatics, which take no prior experience to drive other than the very basics

agree,

plus i hate my left leg doing absolutely nothing..

Edited by Subasaurus
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...