Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 Subaru GL Value

Just as a comparison i sold a few years ago a 83 2 door 2wd just like yours but with a few more options and some period accessories.  Mine had around 89k miles or there a bouts if i remember right.  Might have been a bit more.  But at any rate i got around 2500 for it.  It was very clean as well. Just food for thought.  Id say that is probably a 2500-3k car all day.  If it had a sunroof and power windows id be a buyer lol.  

Just as a comparison i sold a few years ago a 83 2 door 2wd just like yours but with a few more options and some period accessories.  Mine had around 89k miles or there a bouts if i remember right.  Might have been a bit more.  But at any rate i got around 2500 for it.  It was very clean as well. Just food for thought.  Id say that is probably a 2500-3k car all day.  If it had a sunroof and power windows id be a buyer lol.  

Uh! I remember the sunroof and power window options, along with the A/C, but since this was the first car I had ever purchased on my own my blood pressure was already sky high...that August in the deep South I most certainly questioning my A/C decision. 

How on earth did you have so little milage? Were you the original owner?

Thanks for the comp. Did you sell yours locally, or Ebay?

No, it's front well drive. I am in the Seattle/Tacoma area. Subaru's seem to be popular here, but that is just my opinion.

Thanks for your reply.

In the Pacific Northwest, Subaru's are worth their weight in gold to most drivers there. While the lack of 4WD will hurt the value, it wouldn't be impossible for someone to make the conversion over to 4WD if they could find a donor car with the right parts and if there were ever a place to find them it would certainly be in WA State. That being said, just to give you a rough estimate on the value of the car as it is now I would place it somewhere in the 2k to 2.5k range based on the mileage and the features of the car. I am painfully familiar with this estimate because I had to total out my FWD 86' Hatch last week to the insurance company compliments of a hit and run with a drunk driver. They're cutting me a check for $1,233 and factored in the age and condition of the vehicle which was near mint and the mileage which was actually a little less if not the same as yours. What they didn't factor in was all the work I had recently done to the vehicle such as new tires, new brakes, tune ups, oil change...etc.

So if everything is as you say, especially considering the interior and headliner, set the asking price for around 3.5k or even 4k and that should give you some haggle room. However, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT accept anything less than 2k to 2.5k as your bottom line. If it's a 5 Speed, that means that the engine should be the same size that was put into the brats for that model year as well as a few more after it. Often times guys will buy those cars just to pull the engine out of to transplant into another project car. Don't just give away something as valuable as that vehicle for mere peanuts. Hell, if I wasn't located on the East Coast I would buy it from you in a heartbeat, especially given the family history.

I planned on keeping my hatch until the end of days, but fate took that decision out of my hands. I've had two Subies totaled while I owned them and neither occasion was my fault. However, I find myself standing 2-0 with death because of the safety and reliability of these vehicles and you are indeed blessed to have had so many years and memories with that car. Now I suppose it's time for someone else to make new ones.

Edited by Beaux_Foxthorne

Uh! I remember the sunroof and power window options, along with the A/C, but since this was the first car I had ever purchased on my own my blood pressure was already sky high...that August in the deep South I most certainly questioning my A/C decision. 

How on earth did you have so little milage? Were you the original owner?

Thanks for the comp. Did you sell yours locally, or Ebay?

Im in Connecticut and i sold mine to a board member on here in Virginia.  In fact i drove it all the way down to his front door and he dropped me off at the train to go back home.  It worked out perfectly.  As for mileage when i bought my coupe it had sat around for a few years and needed everything. I basically bought it for the almost rust free shell.  It had 52k original miles on it but everything needed work.  I basically rebuilt the car over the course of ownership and added some extras to make it more daily driver friendly.  I loved it but it was time to move on to something else.  Now I'm half on the hunt for another coupe but I'm spoiled on sunroofs and power windows.  

In the Pacific Northwest, Subaru's are worth their weight in gold to most drivers there. While the lack of 4WD will hurt the value, it wouldn't be impossible for someone to make the conversion over to 4WD if they could find a donor car with the right parts and if there were ever a place to find them it would certainly be in WA State. That being said, just to give you a rough estimate on the value of the car as it is now I would place it somewhere in the 2k to 2.5k range based on the mileage and the features of the car. I am painfully familiar with this estimate because I had to total out my FWD 86' Hatch last week to the insurance company compliments of a hit and run with a drunk driver. They're cutting me a check for $1,233 and factored in the age and condition of the vehicle which was near mint and the mileage which was actually a little less if not the same as yours. What they didn't factor in was all the work I had recently done to the vehicle such as new tires, new brakes, tune ups, oil change...etc.

So if everything is as you say, especially considering the interior and headliner, set the asking price for around 3.5k or even 4k and that should give you some haggle room. However, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT accept anything less than 2k to 2.5k as your bottom line. If it's a 5 Speed, that means that the engine should be the same size that was put into the brats for that model year as well as a few more after it. Often times guys will buy those cars just to pull the engine out of to transplant into another project car. Don't just give away something as valuable as that vehicle for mere peanuts. Hell, if I wasn't located on the East Coast I would buy it from you in a heartbeat, especially given the family history.

I planned on keeping my hatch until the end of days, but fate took that decision out of my hands. I've had two Subies totaled while I owned them and neither occasion was my fault. However, I find myself standing 2-0 with death because of the safety and reliability of these vehicles and you are indeed blessed to have had so many years and memories with that car. Now I suppose it's time for someone else to make new ones.

Im in Connecticut and i sold mine to a board member on here in Virginia.  In fact i drove it all the way down to his front door and he dropped me off at the train to go back home.  It worked out perfectly.  As for mileage when i bought my coupe it had sat around for a few years and needed everything. I basically bought it for the almost rust free shell.  It had 52k original miles on it but everything needed work.  I basically rebuilt the car over the course of ownership and added some extras to make it more daily driver friendly.  I loved it but it was time to move on to something else.  Now I'm half on the hunt for another coupe but I'm spoiled on sunroofs and power windows.  

There always seems to be a story behind any car that people have passion about. Hearing of some of them from others has most certainly made me look back on mine in more detail. Having driven my car only 2 of the 30 years its been around is small, but, those two, while in my early twenty's, crisscrossed me throughout the United States and in excess of 30k miles, in all sorts of weather (without the need of snow tires even in February in New England). 

Like most things like this, the value really isn't attached to a dollar amount.

Thanks again everyone.

As you said Value is substantive to many things and that is for the individuals situation but unlike others who see lack of the sun roof as a negative I see the positive that if not fitted they don't rust,It would though make a great Targa Top Brat style conversion though if the factory sun roof was just a conventional version though, Now that would be unique and make it more valuable.

In Australia that would start at around 5K value wise though being so clean and rare even if you could actually find one.

I remember the sunroof as a simple oval style that popped up in the back as a vent, or you could take it completely off. Then again, that was 30+ years ago, so I could be way off.

The way the salesman put it, I believe there was more of a "Lack of Desire" for a two door over a four. All I know, I have never seen another locally, or one for sale on the internet-but I am sure they exist.

Of the 2WD models in my opinion the coupe that you have is worth the most. (it has the most style as seems to be pretty uncommon now)  For 4WD the hatchback probably has the most value. (we are excluding brats in this case)

I think to the right buyer you could get the $2500 mentioned earlier... I am cheap however so you would have trouble getting me to go more than $1500 (though I am not really in the market for one right now)

Will I am moving into the stupid stage, but will give this a try again. The first time it said that they don't except "That Type of Link". I am doing it from Picasa.

https://goo.gl/photos/nVvDYinGhfNXxEZD9

Beautiful! Exactly like my old boyfriend's car, which he bought new. I remember taking long road trips in that car. Fond memories.

Of the 2WD models in my opinion the coupe that you have is worth the most. (it has the most style as seems to be pretty uncommon now)  For 4WD the hatchback probably has the most value. (we are excluding brats in this case)

I think to the right buyer you could get the $2500 mentioned earlier... I am cheap however so you would have trouble getting me to go more than $1500 (though I am not really in the market for one right now)

The truth is, if I get close to these numbers I would be happy.

Thanks for the input.

You could just keep it as a show car. Drive it a few miles a month. At least in WA, antique cars get a reduced rrgis ration fee after we 25 years.

That would be great if I could do that, but since I have a 6 car garage, and I have yet to be able to park my truck in it-where to store it, is the issue- ;)