Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 GL wagon - 4WD lever on steering column? Good, bad, weird?

Hello everyone. I am currently looking at possibly buying a 1986 Subaru GL 4WD wagon that's on a lot in Washington, but I'm in California so I had someone check it out for me. He tells me that the on-demand 4WD is not a push-button, as I expected, but rather on a lever on the steering column. I've tried to look into this, and it seems like Subaru stopped making that kind of 4WD transimission in the late 70's? Can anyone discuss this with me? This is a big purchase for me - not a "fun" car, but would be my only car. Thank you!

I'd be getting a pic. That sounds like the column adjusting lever, there is 2 of them. One underneath for the overall adjustment, and the other is a quick release that springs the wheel to the highest position to make it easier to exit.

If there isn't a button in the middle of the shifter, and not a 2nd lever, then I'd bet its only a 2wd model.

• Like 1

Thank you, this helped to clarify my questions ot the person who looked at the car! He seemed to be describing a lever on the steering column, but it is a lever next to (maybe in front of? I didn't think to ask specifically about that, either! Jeesh ) the shifter. So, knowing that, is there much difference between the lever style 4WD and the push button?

Edited by JAmacT

Thanks again! Sadly, I think I'm going to pass on the car, but, thanks to your info, not because of the lever. It doesn't have AC, and I live in eastern California where it was 103º yesterday. I'm not giving up, though! I'll post a wanted request here on Ultimate Subaru - maybe I will catch someone who's thinking about selling.