Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ej20tt for swap

jread

These are the items I can take, I assume I can take the wiring harness since he seems like he wants the body parts

You can take:
Engine
Transmission Automatic 4WD
ECU
Turbos
Intercooler
Differential
Drive Shaft / Proper Shaft
Down Pipe
Coil Packs
MAF Sensor / Air Flow Meter
Alternator
Starter
A/C Compressor
Power Steering Pump
Intake Manifold
Exhaust Manifold
Throttle Body

Twin turbos do not fit (almost at all, it's been done, but requires considerable modification) in LHD cars. And they're not terribly powerful, not generally considered worth the trouble.

If it's a great deal, you could use a standalone, or ECU/harness from a GD WRX to convert to more modern management, and single turbo parts would give you more peak power, more usable power, and less complexity.

He wants 400 with tranny and turbos ECU ect. Seems pretty cheap but not sure what the repairs would cost. But if it doesn't fit then its kind of irrelavent.

Found out what was wrong with one cylinder its only got 35psi vs 155 for the rest.

What kind of modification will I have to do? I guess all the pedals are in the wrong places so that will be a ton of work, then chopping some things away? Also when you say standalone that means buying a single turbo and installing that?

Also its 45000km and he said people are interested in the tranny and turbos already so I would probably not be spending much after selling those. At work ATM but will do more searching when I'm home. If 400 seems fair I may jump on it.

It's been done in RHD cars before, but you do need the full engine wiring harness plus the factory ECU. The staging of the turbos is beyond the control of most aftermarket ECUs.

What gets in the way that it doesn't fit in a LHD? Don't forget that the right side turbo is still there for RHD models, and we do just fine. Maybe some work on the pipes to and from the left side turbo might be needed, but that's usually not that difficult.

Being an auto, you'll get away with not having to convert the clutch to hydraulic.

You're probably better off buying a Legacy of the same age and transplanting.

But I'd be trying to figure out the engine problem first.

Yeah not sure what the engine problem would be. Low compression on one cylinder... Could be a number of things I assume. 

Basically can get everything I need from the car I just need to figure out how much work it is to make it fit.

You're making the LHD problems seem like not that much of a problem, I'm going to look into it more now.

As for the transmission I'd likely sell it and just buy an adapter plate for an EA 4x4 transmission or buy another manual one. The issue with getting into the trans game is I need to get a hold of xt6 parts. Totally want to but very unavailable up here.

It seems like it should be possible. The left side turbo and piping completely interferes with the steering shaft, brake booster, and clutch master. Subaru engines are offset, the right side head is further forward than the left. It doesn't seem like much, but where there's plenty of room for the turbo, steering shaft, etc. on the right side (even if it's only a single turbo), there really isn't on the left.

The only time I've seen it successfully done, is with a ~4" lift, and several extra U-joints in the steering shaft to get it to go out and around the turbo (I wish I could find that build thread).

IMO, if you're putting that in a LHD car, that engine is a donor block only. The exhaust, intake, intercooler, turbos, ecu, etc. is all basically scrap (the market is flooded with those parts from all the other people converting to single turbo....it has virtually no value). You'll still have to rebuild the bottom end, have the heads checked, and source single-turbo parts. $400 is decent, but keep in mind, that is very much the tip of the iceberg to turn that into a working engine. It would probably be a similar cost, and considerably more reliable to get everything from one car that is already single turbo (I highly recommend the ECU/Wiring from a GD WRX for it's price/tuneability)

I think that's probably best. I hate to discourage this kind of a project, but I also want to be realistic. And I think this really is a situation of "if you have to ask.....". It's feasible, but you really need the knowledge and experience to do it before you start.