Ultimate Subaru Message Board

All:

So I got the motor pulled yesterday!!! :)

Thanks to everyone for all the help and great threads.

Now the adventure begins. Clutch, oil sep plate, cam seals all on the list.

I cannot find any thread on how to replace the drivers side rear cam seal. Anyone have any advice? Part numbers?

1995 Subaru Legacy L. EJ22.

Not sure if leaking...or just spray from the valve cover leak...but planning to replace as many seals as I can while I have the motor out.

Thanks,

Tom

Edited by mcnea001

that's not a seal on the drivers side and isn't routinely replaced, leave it be unless you clearly see an issue with it.

although technically you haven't told us what engine you're talking about - but no EJ engines have a replaceable seal on the rear of the engine or anything replaceable on the drivers side rear.

that's not a seal on the drivers side and isn't routinely replaced, leave it be unless you clearly see an issue with it.

although technically you haven't told us what engine you're talking about - but no EJ engines have a replaceable seal on the rear of the engine or anything replaceable on the drivers side rear.

I apologize.   1995 Subaru Legacy L.  EJ22.

There's a plug seal on the back of the head that does dry out and can leak when it gets old. (Like 200k miles)

I think its about $15 from the Subaru dealer, that's about the only source for that plug.

Easy to replace when the engine is out. Damn near impossible with it in.

Tap a flat blade screwdriver into the side of the round part in the center to pry the old plug out. Clean the bore that it sits in and apply oil or grease to the outside of the new plug. Tap the new plug in with a hammer and a large socket that matches the outside diameter of the plug.

• Like 1

There are also O-Rings on the back of that cam.  If I had it out I would do both rear cam seals/o-rings (think it's just O-Rings under the plate), front cam seals, front crank seal, reseal the oil pump and tighten it up, timing belt, water pump, tensioner, separator plate, inspect the rear main seal and replace if necessary, valve cover gaskets.  

I would also inspect the heater hoses (easily replaced w/ the engine out) and all vacuum lines (some of the ones under the intake are a lot easier to replace w/ the engine out).  

Oh, Oil Pickup tube O-Ring and oil pan return O-Ring.  I doubt your pan is leaking, but both engines I've replaced those on at 180k to 200k the O-Rings were toast in there.