Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2004 WRX wagon clunking during shut-off

Hey guys, I've posted here quite a bit about my previous subarus (95 Legacy and 95 Impreza), but haven't much lately.

Recently I upgraded big time and got a 2004 WRX sport wagon with the EJ20 turbo. It has 150k miles and has been great so far.

Anyways, as with most used vehicles it's had a few quirks and minor problems. One of them that has me concerned, is this clunking I've noticed when I shut the car off. It also happens sometimes briefly during startup, I also noticed a rattling/knocking sound that happens during certain rpm ranges (from about 3750k rpms to about 4k). I've listened very closely and tried to determine where exactly it's coming from and have determined it's not the engine. I've revved the engine from under the hood and don't hear the rattle/knocking at all in the engine bay and it sounds like it's in the firewall somewhere (somehow). I figure it's got to be a loose or worn out part somewhere near the firewall for me to only hear it inside the car and when the engine is vibrating a certain way.

Anyways, I was once again looking behind the intercooler trying to figure it out where it's coming from when I noticed the mount directly below the intercooler (transmission mount?) is kind of loose. Loose enough that I can shake it by hand. The bushings in it are obviously worn out. I've never replaced engine/transmission mounts before so I'm not sure how they are supposed to be normally. I would assume that it should have some play in it to absorb shock but it will shake probably a half inch up or down.

That's definetely not normal right?

Could this mount be what's causing the sound I'm hearing? I would guess that with the vibration of the engine this thing is definetely moving a bit and clanking around.

Anyone got any insight? Also, how bad of a job is it to replace? I'm decently good with a wrench (Done multiple timing jobs on Subies, clutch etc)

Is it gonna hurt anything if I can't get to it in the immediate future?

Thanks in advance for all your help, everyone here is super knowledgeable, helpful, and welcoming. That's why I post here and not at NASIOC.

EDIT: I attached a picture of the part I'm talking about. I think it's a transmission mount? Not sure what the actual name for it is.

post-53402-0-62691400-1440651906_thumb.jpg

Edited by nicholi2789

Subaru calls it a "pitch stopper". Most pleople will refer to that as a dogbone mount. It helps keep the engine from twisting back/forth during acceleration/deceleration.

Yes, that will cause a noise, escpecially since the bolt on the front of it is gone!

You should check the rest of the mounts as well. I worked on a car a few weeks ago that was missing 2 of the bolts the hold the lower engine mount brackets to the engine, and the other two bolts were loose. That was letting the block walk around on top of the mounts and causing a clunk sound when starting and when the auto trans shifted.

What the heck? How does a bolt like to get just go missing? Just vibrates loose? Well I wonder if I can just order the bolt and not have to replace the whole piece. I'll be sure to check the other mounts. Could this cause any collateral damage?

Edited by nicholi2789

What the heck? How does a bolt like to get just go missing? Just vibrates loose? Well I wonder if I can just order the bolt and not have to replace the whole piece. I'll be sure to check the other mounts. Could this cause any collateral damage?

Sometimes bolts don't get tightened. It happens. Don't know specifically what bolt is needed, but if it is rather generic, then a hardware store should be able to find a bolt for you. I would advise fixing this pretty quickly. Nothing good can come from having your engine move around, especially where the unwanted torque gets transmitted to the tranny.

Often they get loosened when someone needs to jack up the engine for room to get to spark plugs or valve cover gaskets. Its easy to forget because it's not in an obvious place.

Get a M10x1.5 grade 8.8 or 10.9 bolt long enough to go through. Washers on both sides and a lock washer and nut.

If there's a junkyard nearby you can scavenge one off any Subaru with an EJ engine.

• Like 1

Often they get loosened when someone needs to jack up the engine for room to get to spark plugs or valve cover gaskets. Its easy to forget because it's not in an obvious place.

Get a M10x1.5 grade 8.8 or 10.9 bolt long enough to go through. Washers on both sides and a lock washer and nut.

If there's a junkyard nearby you can scavenge one off any Subaru with an EJ engine.

Awesome thanks for the great information as always Fairtax. Could I really just use any generic bolt provided it fits those specs? And should I use 8.8 or 10.9?

Yep. Bolts is bolts.

Typically bolts under the hood are 8.8 or 10.9 grade (metric equivalents of grade 5 and grade 8 sae hardware). Occasionally you find a 12.9, (head bolts sometimes) but not often.

As long as you don't go with the cheapest cheap ungraded bolt it'll be fine.

Yep. Bolts is bolts.

Typically bolts under the hood are 8.8 or 10.9 grade (metric equivalents of grade 5 and grade 8 sae hardware). Occasionally you find a 12.9, (head bolts sometimes) but not often.

As long as you don't go with the cheapest cheap ungraded bolt it'll be fine.

Nice. Thank you. Really appreciate it. One last question. So all i could find was about 3 inch M10x1.50 bolts, and the threads are only on the last inch and a half or so. So i had to use washers to shim it up. However, the bolt still sticks out the other side (drivers side) about an inch, give or take. There is nothing that the extra bolt sticking out can hit right? I can't see back there well at all because of the intercooler and don't want to take it off to look. 

Only thing I can think of that might rub against it is the hose for the clutch slave cylinder. There's usually plenty of empty space around that bracket though. If you can't see just reach your hand in there and see if anything is touching the bolt. If there's nothing around it, nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

Only thing I can think of that might rub against it is the hose for the clutch slave cylinder. There's usually plenty of empty space around that bracket though. If you can't see just reach your hand in there and see if anything is touching the bolt. If there's nothing around it, nothing to worry about.

Thanks a lot. Couldn't feel anything close besides the spring for the clutch fork or whatever it is. Your the man Fairtax!