Ultimate Subaru Message Board

83 GL10 Rupert

MDW

Did you make sure to put the grounds back on the motor? No spark seems kinda odd, unless the Pickup totally died in the disty all of a sudden. Could also check the play in the rotor shaft, the shaft Bushings like to wear down on the EA81/EA71 distys (EA82s have bearings) which will cause a good amount of up and down and side to side play/slop.

Also, did anyone unhook the connections to the Coil at all? If these were put onto the wrong terminals, it will cause a no spark situation. 

• Like 1

Get the float back in the carb before you do any more starting attempts........

It is possible that the pick-up is bad.

The one out of your damaged disty should fit.

I do believe I have a pick-up here if that one doesn't.

Check for battery voltage at coil + with key on.

Few other tests can be done, but I don't have access to the files right now. They're on my other computer, and it takes a while to boot up.

• Like 1

Did you make sure to put the grounds back on the motor? 

Why would I do something like that, the engine goes in the car not on the ground! 

That was a funny joke right? no...okay ill stop

I actually did not ground the engine, but peaked into my brats engine bay to see a ground wire going to the engine. My starter was turning over the engine fine so I thought it has ground, did not know it needed a separate cable, but it does make sense since the engine sits on rubber mounts. 

I figured my issues are small ones like this, I am going to spend some time with the electrical diagram and fuel diagram this afternoon to make sure everything is right. 

Get the float back in the carb before you do any more starting attempts........

I'm going to do some research on the carb rebuild to see what I could have possibly done wrong, It's all new parts, I have no idea why the bowl wont fill when the check valve is installed. I have a bad feeling that it's only the start of my fuel issues, but I have another hitachi that is acting as a donor, I could make that one work for the time being if needed. 

• Like 1

IT's ALIVE!! 

After tinkering for a while, discovering some loose ends and installing a new fuel pump, it finally came to life. Was able to drive around the block last night. 

It felt great to leave the driveway on Ruperts own 4 legs. Ran very rough, but tuning is in process. 

Current Issues:

1. Timing is no were near 8, currently off the charts at probably 30, I think this may be due to the current high RPM's it want's to sit at. I have tuned ignition timing by ear so far. If I bring it anywhere near 20 it stalls.

2. Runs okay, idle is pretty darn high, need to tinker more. Hitachi has been simplified and works great so far. 

3. Missing sensor from Radiator, may hardwire fan to a switch for now so I can drive and not worry about traffic jams.

4. Dash cluster is fried, needs to be replaced but don't have time to rip it out. Will be researching wiring up an after market heat gauge, which is about all i need for now. 

5. Pistons in front brake calipers will not turn at all, so I can't complete a break job, which it badly needs form sitting for 7 months. 

6. The shifter want's to fall through the floor

PRO's

It runs. it look sexy, here are some pictures:

ECq0YGW.jpg

KJd4YhP.jpg

VTmtICl.jpg

uC217kB.jpg

YPcAmJX.jpg

VsF4u8T.jpg

RAUPL7W.jpg

KJd4YhP.jpg

SO MUCH FUN!!!

Edited by MDW
  • Like 1

Good to hear that the engine is running again.

It is now doing so in it's 4th vehicle as far as I know.

Looks good with the paint job on it. :)

Distributor may not be dropped in correctly.

If you bring it around to 8*BTDC #1 cylinder, the rotor should be pointing directly at #1 plug wire tower on the cap.

Thinking I have a thermo-switch for the radiator fan. I can send it your way if you want it. PM me an addy.

May not really need to do  a brake job on it.

Things like rotors and drums get rusty from setting, but as long as the system is sound, the rust will clean off with use.

Yes, brakes are a bit grabby at first, but they do improve.

And rust may be the cause of the pistons not wanting to turn as they should. Use may help there also.

Seeing that "home-made" engine swap gantry brings back lots of memories of some I built myself. Gotta Love it....

• Like 1

Thank You! I was pleased with the orange. 

I was hoping to work on it last night, but I am packing up my house. I did not close on the house I was supposed to by because Real Estate is a complicated mess of bureaucracy . I am homeless in 7 days so I have been furiously packing up my house, and moving everything into storage. 

I will leave the brakes as is for now, and focus on wiring up a temp heat gauge. Jimbo has a sensor I am going to steal from his parts car, thanks for the offer though! 

As far as the Ignition timing is concerned. I actually brought the flywheel to 8* and set the distributor so the rotor was pointing directly at it. The car wouldn't start and just shot a plum of smoke out of the carb. When I adjusted to about 30* it runs really well and and when I inch towards the 20* it stalls and dies. weird right? Could the flywheel be on wrong, because I did not pay attention to he markings when I put it on. (wasn't even thinking about it) 

I was going to drive it a little last night on the backroads to let her open up a little bit, but in the moving fury I have lost the key.... this might get interesting. 

The bolt pattern on the flywheel/crank is off-set. Nearly impossible to bolt it on wrong and get all of the bolts in.

Thinking I would use the BRAT as a 3D reference.

Set the BRATs engine to 8*BTDC #1, and compare the two of them.

Check everything over, how the disty is sitting in reference to the adjustment slot, where #1 plug wire is on cap, and so on.

Something doesn't add up.

That engine has ran a couple Hitachi carbs, then SPFI, and a Weber set up. All in various vehicles I owned. No problem hitting timing, but it did like 11* with the Weber vs. the stock 8*.

• Like 1

I will be working on them tonight I will have to do just that! good idea.

My fan is not coming on, I do not have the sensor in the radiator yet, is this the sensor that triggers the fan? or is one of the sensors in the manifold the ones that triggers it?

Thanks!

Don't forget to install the bonding wire that goes from the top cross-brace of the radiator to the radiator support.

I don't see it in the above pic of the engine looking in from the DS front area.

The thermo-switch grounds the fan motor circuit. The bonding wire completes the path of power back to the battery.

I drove it a little longer tonight to fill up the tires and gas it up. Running really really well!  I could not be happier with the way it runs, currently. idling very well at a lower RPM, simplifying the Hitachi works so well. I pulled this carb from my brat, and it ran like spoob when it was on the brat. The re-build and de-smog worked wonders. 

Having all sorts of electrical issues right now. 

there is no thermo switch installed so the fan should be running, but it's not. I don't see a wire to connect the radiator to the radiator support, my brat doesn't have one either. Maybe this is the issue, but I am not missing a cable, at least I don't think I am. Where does the cable go? 

My blinkers are not working either. Was not able to check brake lights, because I could not see them while diving. 

Maybe I am missing a crucial ground somewhere. any ideas?

DUsDlC6.jpg

• Like 1

The afore mentioned bonding wire is only needed for the Factory Stock wiring set-up. If someone has moded the wiring for the fan, they most likely tapped into the wire to the switch.

Post a pic of that area of the radiator and fan connection.

I think a pic of looking down that side of the radiator at the wiring should do.

There are a few ground wires on the EA81's. I'll look thru pics I have and see if I have any that show them.

• Like 1

First, Fievel wanted to say hi, and bye, he is living with a friend for a month while I am temporarily homeless.

gaI1pKF.jpg

Second, I was able to score a Thermo Switch from @mechanical_misfit, and also scored a sweet set of white wagon wheels, picture to come. The Radiator fan is now operational!!

The car is running so damn good I could not be happier. Still little things to tinker with, as always. But right now it's packed up and ready for my next adventure. I will be camping for the month of october while I wait for issues to be worked out with the house I am purchasing.

Here is Rupert all Packed up for the adventure:

3zCyoXA.jpg

Here is how well he blends with it's natural environment:

TwWtNZx.jpg

Does anyone know what this fuse is to? The 20Amp fuse inside of this white enclosure? It is blown and I can't figure out what it goes to?

n9S1ThG.jpg

ALSO the speedo, temp, RPM's and oil pressure are not showing up on my digital dash cluster, I need to do some research, anyone heard of this issue?

Edited by MDW
  • Like 1

I believe that fuse is for the A/C system, along with those relays.

Going to get a bit chilly the next few days. But camping this time of year used to be great. When I was younger....

The EA81 digital dashes and their failures have been posted on here. But that's been a few years back now. Don't recall any threads in the last 2-3 years.

• Like 2

I did some digging, and have found a few, as of right now I am not going to worry about it until I buy my house and have a garage I can heat. haha. plus it would be difficult to tear apart while at the campsite. 

I camp all year round so this will be a walk in the park, really excited for all the color. 

Discovered a powerstearing fluid leak today but that's no too serious for me, I will just fill it until I have time to tear into it again. I drove it for about an 1.5 hours today to the city to drop off my Rat at a friends house. The car rode so well, I am so happy with it, grinning ear to ear. The engine runs great Tom! thanks again!

• Like 1

From what I remember, most of the issues with the dash is with the circuitry on the dash itself. Resistors, transistors, what have you.

That engine itself, never gave me any issues. Oil/coolant leaks were most of the trouble when I 1st came under ownership of it.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I feel like I need to resurrect this thread and do some continuing. 

I bought Rupert about a year ago, and have done a little bit here and there with the car. The biggest thing is getting the trans leak fixed and getting the weber carb on there and tuned. Weber is on, tuning will happen after the rain and before the snow. I will do my best to get some current pictures of the car up pretty soon and soak in all the weber goodness. 

Unfortunately I had to neglect my brat most of the summer, which is a bit sad.