Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best exhaust 86 DL wagon?

Hello everyone - Well, I went ahead and bought a wagon, and it came with a..a... I don't even know what it is, but it sounds like a bomb going off while I drive. I'd like an exhaust system that is relatively quiet but that babies the engine a bit. I need to drive up and lot of steep hills. Can anyone suggest what I should be looking for? Thanks!

2 inch stainless from the cat back, and a stainless Magnaflow muffler will work well, and outlast the car.

I'm running it on all three of mine and love it. You can still hear it when you romp on it, but it's not obnoxious at all, and fairly quiet while cruising.

Dan

Oh, nice Dave T - wish I had the tools/time/wherewithal to make something like that! I mentioned the 2 inch stainless from the cat back, and a stainless Magnaflow muffler to the guy from the auto shop yesterday and his eyes got very wide. Then he looked out at my car and laughed. Yeah, I think I'm going to have to go with something less... upscale for now. But at least I know what to aim for in the future. Well, unless I can buy the parts online for less, and have it installed for a reasonable price?

Otherwise, any other suggestions for someone with no shop and limited means (but a will to try at least to get good parts, not junk)? I'm not sure how much the exhaust effects the engine, but definitely right now my engine needs all the help, or at least the least hindrance, I can manage w/o it sounding too loud.

Thanks again!

Edited by JAmacT