Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil below the right side of my '88 DL

I drove to work. Everything was fine. Then I'm told there's oil under my car. I checked the dip stick and I only have a bit less than full. That said, my car has a drip or few every couple days. It isn't dripping oil in this huge spot anymore. Does anyone think this released from the oil pressure relief valve or do I probably have a bigger problem? I will update the post as I find out more. I have to get my car to level ground at the end of the day and check other fluids.

(The second small puddle in the back is AC condensation. Water.)

post-59464-0-34147100-1440878091_thumb.jpg

Edited by Casull

Update: Smells like ... different oil. Being I am new to this car I will say it isn't the transmission fluid, but there is a dip stick next to that. Gear oil or differential oil??? The oil on the ground smells like that one. Anyone??

What kind of transmission do you have?

The oil pressure relief valve [in the oil pump for the engine] does not release oil outside of the engine.

If you have an automatic, you will have an ATF dipstick, near the brake master cylinder.

AND a diff oil dipstick, under the spare tire, opposite side, rear of the bell housing.

That stain on the ground looks old. Either way, to be absolutely certain it's leaking, and how much it's leaking, next time you park it for the night or whatever, lay a piece of cardboard under the front of the car and check it out in the morning.

Not only will you see whatever it leaked overnight, but it'll be absorbed by the cardboard so you can identify it by scent easier as well.

Also, peak under your car and look for leaks. On that side of the car you have the oil pump and the oil filter (which screws on to the pump). Look at those for fresh oil droplets on them.

• Like 1

It's an Automatic. So yes, that's the diff. Thanks for letting me know.

I put cardboard. Nothing more than the typical few drips below the oil tank. Oddly enough my transmission fluid is pretty low. But the oil in that photo was definitely not transmission fluid-- wasn't pink at all. The thing is I don't have transmission fluid on the cardboard. Would I be correct in assuming I only lose fluid while driving so I never see it otherwise? Mayhap I could use some AT-205...

Edited by Casull

If your transmission fluid is low, I could understand why it is not pink.     ATF gets dirty, gets hot, and then gets 'not pink'.

I would change the ATF and Diff fluid.    There's a good chance they have never been changed.   People have been saying for years "Subarus run forever".

That's why they run 'em till they die.

The problem is that I did fill up the ATF. It was near empty before-- previous owner apparently had the fluids redone (whatever), but then I found that was low. I figured I'd fill it up and wait to see if someone "forgot". For a good while it was good to go so I figured it must be fine. I'll run some tests tonight; get it warm. See what I can figure. The diff is half-full. What diff oil do I put in, though?