Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rescued 1979 Subaru Wagon, now i need help..

There's a 78? 79? wagon at the local You Pull Yard here in Albuquerque. I was thinking of stripping what I could off it myself, even tho I don't have one of those years yet.....

Things are not rusted that bad here in the Southwest. I'm going to see if I can get there Tuesday 10/20 (Tomorrow) if not I'm definitely hitting the Yard next week. I need some rear disks and a 5 speed for a 84 hatch project I have... I'll take pics of the wagon, see if I can pull anything etc.. .maybe I can go back and swipe a few things if you still need them

>need dashboard ashtray,

>both rear door plastic handles

>those plastic things that go in the interior of the door that go in the inside (behind) of the pull handle, its held on only by 1 phillips on each one, need all 4.

>if theres a 5inch (the model with 4 headlights) and they say Koito (the ones that came original to the car), i need 1 low/high beam and 2 highbeam circular headlights (3 sealed glass headlights total)

thanks!!

-Omar

Edited by Subasaurus

I switched my shifts with a coworker, so I can go this Sunday October 25th. I'm going to pull some rear disks, seats, etc etc things I need off other subes then I'll jump on the wagon. I'll get all I can while there..and take pics of the rest. If I can't get everything that day I'll see if I can get back before they crush it.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

so i've noticed not much is going on in the historic subaru section so ill fill it in with one of my old posts that i never completed, heres my Subaru GL Update  like i promised, still on the road after 2 years that i rescued it..

-few things that don't belong on this car for those of you that can notice OEM period parts, ill just point them out right now---

>rear spoiler wing from an EA82 since finding one for an EA71 is impossible

>the metal rubber bumpers that are mounted on the bumpers come from like a 1982 Lincoln Continental

>removed the faded Wood Grain stripe across the roof rack and replaced it with a strip of flexible chrome

>chromed the grill

>chrome wheel rings around the wheels from an EA81

>the headlight that says 75 on it comes from a 1975 Toyota pickup at the junkyard since finding a circular Koito original non-halogen headlight on anything is impossible now.

>rear Subaru emblem comes from a 1987 GL Wagon

>hard to see but not all centercaps are exactly the same, some have the textured center

>front plate comes from the early 80's when you bought your subaru new from the dealership

>and ofcourse the white stripe across the side, although i think it was an option?

Front corner light is cracked as its impossible to find one, just covered it with that film tape

28i0qpd.jpg

Sometimes it makes me nervous having the mudflaps on the vehicle, would be a very sad day if i ever lost one

293koxj.jpg

And the Wagon with the rest of the Subaru family, picture is alittle old so some things aren't current on the wagon.

2d796ol.jpg

-----One last thing, in the 5 years of driving in San Antonio TX, i have still yet to see anything Subaru older than 1995, its pretty lonely down here.. (oldest subaru seen driving around was a green 1995 Subaru impreza wagon)

thanks for reading!

-Omar

• 2 weeks later...

just realized theres nothing to compare to from old posts as the photo hosting has expired,

heres one of the first pictures of it from september 2015 when i was rescuing it. Wagon was abandoned from october ish 2001-September 2015.

1pf7l1.jpg

Edited by Subasaurus

Very cool.

I’m guessing you have the four spoke steering wheel and a clock too?

Just went back and read , tachometer too. Lol

yes, seems that the sideways 4 spoke steering wheel was only available in 79? or 79 and only in the GL? don't know my facts on that one. also the clock is a different brand than most of the other pictures i've seen with the analog clock on old Subarus, don't know my facts on that one either..

few more pictures below of the day i got her..

Fun fact: the wagon still had innertube tires when i replaced them!! suprisingly still held air in them after 15years+ didn't know the exact age of them as date stamp on tires wern't required yet in the 90's2vkf85k.jpg

guess something died in the back a long time ago, i ripped it all out including the plastic covers on the wheel wells, you could just poke your finger though the plastic, literally, it was toast...

15naeu1.jpg

94,000? 194,000? today i am at 3,905miles... still under warranty right?

ixut6b.jpg

Jeco Leco ieco Clock? and some hideous aftermarket radio! replaced it with an OEM Subaru one from an 89 wagon at a junkyard with that weather station channel on it, whatever model that one is, don't know, just looked cool.

2czpo5f.jpg

Back seat with a For Sale sign?? that throws me off so much, either the guy had just purchased it and sent it to a mechanic which was unable to find parts for it down here in pre-internet buying times or was gonna put it up for sale after he fixed it..

dc8tqd.jpg

Registration expired in 2002, interesting fact: Note the american flag below the registration and inspection, that comes from 9/11 when gas stations were handing those out and people sticking them on cars.

2gspr2s.jpg

a 1986 Subaru i still need to go back for as it has the Dual Range Manual tranny i've been looking for quite some time. at the same location where the yellow 79 wagon was at. probably has been sitting longer than the yellow one.

2lacytu.jpg

--The most difficult thing in getting this vehicle back on the road were the front brake calipers with the E-brake mechanism, now those were interesting to find!

those are all the pictures i still have of her on day 1, think there were a few more but oh well..

Edited by Subasaurus

Question??? How did you get the old rear bumper stickers off without messing up the chrome bumper?? Have one on my bumper I need to remove. looks like its been on there for 30 years or so...

not sure what the best way was but i used a combination of goo gone and evaporator cleaner for aluminum coils on A/C units, and ofcourse a razor blade and about 2 boring hours later got both stickers off, it ain't perfect in any means, take a look at the rear bumper of the car on the updated picture, you can still see the rectangles and underneath the stickers is shinier better condition chrome. my dad used to own a car lot in the 70's and 80's and told me to use aluminum foil and coke to shine up the bumpers and make it look even but haven't tried it yet, he said it worked pretty well but that was the old coke formula being used... but then again doesn't really bother me much either as it just make it more unique with every dent, scratch, paint faiding away and such.

Question??? How did you get the old rear bumper stickers off without messing up the chrome bumper?? Have one on my bumper I need to remove. looks like its been on there for 30 years or so...

A heat gun will make that a five minute job, a plastic razor blade if the sticker is all cracked, but heat up an edge and peel the sticker rigjt off Edited by sparkyboy
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

old post lol, but you could apply for a bondage title today, a few laws have changed in Texas the past few years to make it easier to aquire an old classic vehicle title and revive the thing, you are probably looking at somewhere around $425 though, and you don't get a plate for it immediately, gotta wait about 20-30 days unless you go to a private title place where they charge you an additional $20-50 for the "convenience fee"

also make sure you have a bill of sale, if you do not, just make one before you go in.

• 3 months later...
On 8/29/2015 at 3:34 PM, Subasaurus said:

Hello, i need your help, i need to buy someones parts car (does not matter the condition) as long as it has the door vin tag and dash vin and a title (salvage or clean) and being somewhere between 1977-1979 station wagon. color does not matter. you can either keep the vehicle that has no title now for more parts or ill take it depending on distance. its up to you.

I bought this 1979 GL for $60, yes 60! just one catch, it has no title, and its been abandoned at a small shops property since 2002, could not contact original owner and his home is now a "tourists motel" since its in downtown Austin,Tx... i just paid the shops "fine" of being parked there. in Texas theres not much you can do with an abandoned vehicle so there all mostly sold as parts cars, but i want to register it and drive it like it was suppose to. please let me know if anyone can help, theres no first gen Subarus for sale in Texas, or any nearby State. PM me or message me here and ill PM you. thanks for the help, i appreciate it.

[update: it runs! it has a clogged fuel filter or the fuel pump is no good]

[2nd Update: Fuel pick up tube in the tank was clogged because the original owner lost the fuel cap decades ago which caused the fuel pump to go out when something clogged, which put too much stress on the fuel pump power wire which caused it to melt (weird how the fuse is still good, perhaps they changed it and still couldn't figure it out) original fuel pump only works when its warmed up so i replaced it and now it works everytime]

--Pictures below--

8/29/15 at 10am rescuing the abandoned Subaru that was left to die in 2002.

IMG_1328_zpsyn90jrcd.jpg

not sure if its 94k or 194k, pretty sure its only 94k. also never knew that any first gen leones came with tachometers stock.. guess it was something they did at the end of 1979.

IMG_1335_zpsnu3qhxya.jpg

4WD, 4speed, some kind of aftermarket radio.

IMG_1338_zpso0avh9gv.jpg

its all there.. nice and dusty. (factory A/C unknown if its any good, although i feel compression when i turn it) [update: engine runs] [2nd Update: A/C compressor is good]

IMG_1341_zps3kdymiky.jpg

door panels are in good condition except for the interior door handles.

IMG_1348_zpshf5nbgwx.jpg

IMG_1353_zpscubz1lox.jpg

Flawless roof (surprising) besides it being sun faded.

IMG_1349_zpsbuyhzbvl.jpg

love white walls.

IMG_1340_zpsaiifeuak.jpg

Looks like someone was already trying to sell it, or they just bought it and left it at the shop because of lack of parts? good thing theres the internet now. (i have tried to call the number and its out of service) are those the original floor mats??

IMG_1351_zpsp5izwwvr.jpg

--------The Bad-----------------------------------------------------------

no old subaru is complete without the cracked dash (note inspection and registration from 2002) poor Subaru.

IMG_1359_zps4eki7ik8.jpg

Drivers side rust. im sure this is nothing for some compared to up north.

IMG_1346_zpskvu6lxej.jpg

Passenger rust (alittle worse)

IMG_1361_zpsvbah3nei.jpg

Random spot for rust to begin forming.

IMG_1360_zpskctplsyj.jpg

nice little ding, cracked the plastic and dented the chrome.

IMG_1343_zps0nwskf3t.jpg

On 10/19/2015 at 8:52 AM, coylethebarbarian said:

There's a 78? 79? wagon at the local You Pull Yard here in Albuquerque. I was thinking of stripping what I could off it myself, even tho I don't have one of those years yet.....
Things are not rusted that bad here in the Southwest. I'm going to see if I can get there Tuesday 10/20 (Tomorrow) if not I'm definitely hitting the Yard next week. I need some rear disks and a 5 speed for a 84 hatch project I have... I'll take pics of the wagon, see if I can pull anything etc.. .maybe I can go back and swipe a few things if you still need them

IN MOST STATES YU CAN GET A STATEMENT OF FACTS FROM THE PROPERTY OWNER AND THEN SEND A REGISTERED  LETTER TO THE ADDRESS ON THE REG ,, AND IF THE LETTER COMES BACK UNDELIVERED. YU CAN GO TO THE DMV AND THEY WILL RE DUE THE PAPER WORK .....//  I DID ONE I UTAH AND GET A BEAUTIFUL SUBARU BRAT THERE 

• 4 months later...

you know something that bothers me more than not having my wagon anymore? someone else getting the fame for doing absolutely nothing to the car, im the one that busted my butt for 9 months and after many cuts and bruises and a drill bit going all the way through my thumb after the cheap drill bit broke, a Wagon was reborn from the dead, then I sold it because the rust was just too much lol.

atleast the car still exists.

https://barnfinds.com/3700-obo-1979-subaru-4wd-wagon/

Edited by Subasaurus
  • Like 2