Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need some parts help! 1983 turbo brat (#2!)

Hello again my fellow old school enthusiasts!!

So early this year the head gaskets finally bit the dust on my daily/shop truck 83 brat. unfortunately it had also been whacked severely in the bed/rear quarters, not once, but twice. i took it off the road and started driving my brz for the summer and started planning a restoration, got a decent straight t-top shell, started getting parts for the engine rebuild, etc.

then another 83 turbo fell into my lap. of course, it died on the previous owner, and he was well out of his depth to diagnose. he took it to another decent reputation subaru shop, who was frankly again out of their depth. so i got it reasonably cheap not running. swapped my vane air meter since the previous dummy, er, owner took it apart, new coil, new starter and re ran the trigger wire, and swapped over my distributor (coincidentally a "new" reman only a few months old before the other 83 was decommissioned), fired right up, runs decent, a little leaky, but no serious issues. but...

this car is a good bit rougher than mine, even including my body damage.

i am in desperate need of the needle bearings, or sizing, for the upper section of the tilt column (right behind the wheel)

not destroyed right taillight assembly

washer bottle would be nice.

those are the biggest, i do need a windshield gasket, but it is looking good from subaru. lower dash trim, driver's side. turbo emblems for the mirrors

i won't get greedy, and just leave it there for now, i'm sure as i continue refreshing this one, more will arise, and i am already getting a list together for the full restoration project car.

any help with either parts or sources would much appreciated!!

Damn just reassembled my  Tilt Column after stripping the Ignition switch to repair it, Lucky for you it is not fitted to the Brumby yet, Ours did not come with tilt columns this is an upgrade out of an 84 MY Touring wagon along with the Power Steering, I believe the Turbo brat will be the same despite being a Left Hooker.

I will strip the ignition switch off it tomorrow and check the upper needle bearing size I do know it is three piece the outer shell the inner caged rollers and an end cap style spacer that goes up against the wire circlip on the topmost part of the ignition switch.

There should be a one piece shellback needle roller replacement available I already have all the relevant bearing catalogs and expect NTN will have a listing  or Koyo possibly even Timken so will post back the size and brand when done cheers, Size wise it looked pretty close to one of the Shellback needle rollers used in Motorcycle swingarms and rear suspension linkages so should be easy to find.