Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My wife don't like the horn on our new Legacy

Well it's not exactly a new Subaru but it is new to us. 95 Legacy LS Wagon. I bought this car for my wife and she loves everything about except the horn. She says it's not manly enough. In her words the horn "is too polite". She wants something that "sounds like you mean it". What I would like to know is do any of you agree with her observation and do any of you have a solution? Can the horn be replaced with something else?

sam

As far as I know the "newer" Subarus have only one horn. I only found one in my '96, while my '88 had two behind the bumper. The stock horn in my '96 sounds more like a buzzer than a horn.

Hella makes two (that I know of) supertones kits. I recently installed the 85115 (118dB 300/500hz) kit, which ran about $55 on eBay. It came with the horns as seen below and a relay. You can generally find the 113dB 300/375hz kit for a bit cheaper. I mounted them behind the grill and they are loud to say the least.

-Heikki

77573_LG.jpg

If you want to save some money and dont mind a very small DIY job. Visit a junk yard and grab a horn out of an old American car 60's-70's, or even better yet a diesel truck. as long as they are electric or have a small electric compressor for the air horns, you should be able to just swap them out without much trouble. people will know she means it with a dual pipe air horn blast, especally coming out of a subaru. I did it to my sisters honda without telling her one weekend. Man was she supprised!

I've got a Fiamm horn that I got at the local auto parts store and all I can tell you is it's really crazy loud...and manly. It has two horns and has a low tone and a high tone at 120 decibels and it bolted right in into my wife's 93 Legacy and my 2002 Legacy. It took very little effort to install. It sounds like those freeway blaster horns in Europe. They were $25 per car (a low tone and a high tone for each car) plus tax.

the easy way is to buy a horn kit like the Hella. They are everywhere.

The last time I did this I just used what I had in the garage.

Two horns, one from a Chevy and one from an XK140 Jag on a Chevy relay.It made an interesting dual tone and was good and loud.

Junk yards are full of horns you can use.

I got a set of chrome Wolo air horns a while back for my car, they were like 36 bucks but that was several years ago. they are FREAKING LOUD, and trust me people KNOW when they piss ME off on the highway! I've blared the horn at some guy on the freeway who was blabbing on his cell phone at 75 MPH and HE heard me!

I just want to thank all who responded with solutions. I will take a look at some of the horns you suggested and no I won't consider getting a new wife.

A more serious problem arose, my 91 legacy has a leaky sunroof. There is a good post with some good advice on how to fix it.

Sam

Fiamm AM100, which deliver 132dB, should do the trick.

I used to run AM80, but you get so used to 114dB that it starts to sound puny. I have been using AM100 for over two years, and I am still impressed with the way they COMMAND attention. In city driving, windows open, they still surprise me.

There is plenty of space to mount them between the radiator and front bumper, and blast straight out!

I advise serious care if used on pedestrians, they will shock - possibly anger ;-)

• 8 months later...
I've got a Fiamm horn that I got at the local auto parts store and all I can tell you is it's really crazy loud...and manly. It has two horns and has a low tone and a high tone at 120 decibels and it bolted right in into my wife's 93 Legacy and my 2002 Legacy. It took very little effort to install. It sounds like those freeway blaster horns in Europe. They were $25 per car (a low tone and a high tone for each car) plus tax.

The Hella's are great, but for the money I'm with Strakes. The Fiam's work great & are loud enough to get you noticed. I don't know where the horns are on a new Legacy, but on my Forester XT they were uder the left front fender.

Chuck

On my 96 Brighton, there was only one horn (dont remember if it was on the right or left side) but wires to connect another one on the other side (which I did: nothing truck like but it gets attention). Look behing the head lights near the wheel wells.