Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ plus its AWD box into std EA81 - tunnel mods ?

jono

I had an EJ box fitted into my 85 L series and before I fitted a lift kit, it would bump. when the 4spd auto came out in the series 2 L series, Subaru enlarged the tunnel so it wasn't a problem, but anything before that does.

The problem was due to the longer gearbox, and was fixed with a big hammer. Helpful to have the dash & heater box out so you don't damage anything.

Painful to do, but the best way is to fit the stuff into the car and see what's close to hitting. Run it & look for the marks against the paint. Then hit it again.

But I'm sure others can at least others can give you some better guidance.

I have been told that to fit an EJ engine and its AWD box into an EA81 of normal height - the trans tunnel needs work to fit and not bump against tunnel.

To what detail does anyone know ? Got pics ?

thanks

Oh Oh not going over to the "Dark Side" are we Jono.

definitely not just yet, even cashed in my EJ box casings for EA box at the scrap yard a few years back to prove it. But, if needing to pay an engineer for a certificate of an engine upgrade to turbo, may just be more practical to do an EJ20 AWD on the Brumby :) and thinking is all I am doing ....

In NSW with our RMS standards (yeah Right with the current mob of Pakistani Engineers at RMS who do not have a clue) the limit for self certification is a 15% increase in capacity which means an EJ 20 is self certified as long as no major modifications are needed.

So considering physically a single cam EJ 18 or 20 can basically be bolted in with a little file work slotting mountings for the engine that satisfies the criteria for self certification and no engineers report required.

May be different because of your penchant for running LPG however so check that aspect.

NSW RMS RTA abides by a national code, sort of copied from a national thing, adopted as their own, I think, and wording sort of may not allow EJ under owner certified coz they weren't for the MY model - rules 318, 319 and 320 , maybe 321 - and sort of suggests so long as no structural mods, or drastic structural mods no engineer cert is needed. But, there is also a rule that with things called light truck such as your lil Brumby and mine there is no capacity ceiling :D- may not fall under owner certified, is how the reader reads the rules. Shannons even though they ask if modified, if the mod not engineered and not the cause of the claim they have no objections to reject claim. But if it was stole and they say it was stole because it was a turbo or go faster model ..... seriously want more squirt from my EA81 :(