Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Burbing the cooling system

So what are the best ways to "burb" a cooling system of the air? I know that one way involves parking on a hill but im not sure what the exact procedure is. I just re flushed the system (got a whole bunch of sandy looking crap out) and I think there must still be some air in it because it is still running too warm. 

you should also be able to find a funnel designed to fit in the neck of the radiator of an EA81, maybe some extra electrical tape to make it a nice tight fit. I run mine with funnel fuller than full to burp it, squash hoses a bit, heater tap open ie hot and also run an EA82 or home built coolant overflow reservoir and suck back double seal cap on radiator.

No matter how careful / slowly   cooling systems are refilled with water, air will be inevitably trapped in the system somewhere. 

The object of the exercise is is to remove these air locks and the best way to do this is to RUN the motor for a significant amount of time

with the radiator cap off to release air topping up when necessary

Up to 30 minutes so that the engine comes up to temperature with thermostat opening and water pump pushing / circulating water around  to help push air out.

Parking on slopes / squeezing hoses etc not necessary.

Subaru heaters usually have water running through heater core continuously unless modified  ( part of the primary cooling circuit { motor / water pump / heater core} until thermostat opens)

Heat + cooling happens  by heater control air flaps  directing air to / away from heater core so setting heater controls to hot makes no difference in this process.

Edited by subnz

No matter how careful / slowly   cooling systems are refilled with water, air will be inevitably trapped in the system somewhere. 

The object of the exercise is is to remove these air locks and the best way to do this is to RUN the motor for a significant amount of time

with the radiator cap off to release air topping up when necessary

Up to 30 minutes so that the engine comes up to temperature with thermostat opening and water pump pushing / circulating water around  to help push air out.

Parking on slopes / squeezing hoses etc not necessary.

Subaru heaters usually have water running through heater core continuously unless modified  ( part of the primary cooling circuit { motor / water pump / heater core} until thermostat opens)

Heat + cooling happens  by heater control air flaps  directing air to / away from heater core so setting heater controls to hot makes no difference in this process.

Agree with you on the newer Subarus but on the old ones the coolant shuts off to the heater with a control valve.