Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Challenging town tax assessment

So I was taxed in my residence town based on the Kelly bluebook value on my 99 Outback of around $3300 at 70% of that.  So I challenged it claiming my 99 OB with around 300K miles and blown head gaskets was worth around $1K.  So I had a hearing yesterday with the assessment board of two guys and a woman.  When I said the vehicle was basically a junker the older woman asked whether it was safe to drive then?  I said yes, the mechanic issue is my problem not a public safety one, but most of the local mattoids driving their high end vehicles have absurdly high standards like my sister who calls triple A if her check engine light goes on.  

The upshot of the meeting is they may lower the assessed tax, but are limited on what they can lower it to.

Many states and locales tax vehicles:  http://www.factorywarrantylist.com/car-tax-by-state.html

And as I pointed out before some of them play extreme hardball if you don't pay that or other taxes with corrupt enforcers, or at the very least the inability to register vehicles until you do pay it.  http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Cops-Ex-Fairfield-County-high-sheriff-charged-6313743.php  I hope this guy never sees the light of day after his sentencing.

Many states and locales tax vehicles:  http://www.factorywarrantylist.com/car-tax-by-state.html

Only 11 states in that list have a "local tax".  Most states use Sales tax, registration fees, or additional gas taxes to cover the costs that a vehicle on the road adds to maintenance and repairs the state/county have to pay for.

Personally I'm not going to live anywhere they are charging me a "property tax" on personally owned items.  Considering some of the principles that caused this country to be founded I'm surprised they not only put the laws in place, but no one is fighting them.

Edited by lstevens76

In my town most of the affluent car owners would not be seen dead in an old car like mine with average incomes well over $100K.   I am all for justice and low taxes if people are playing by the rules, but if people are living extremely extravagantly I would think taxes on vehicles could be a common sense action by government to levy.  You buy a Maserati, Rolls, Mercedes or other luxury vehicle and that should come with reasonable tax charges since obviously those people can afford that. Econbox cars are another matter.   And owners should not be taxed above market value.

Edited by ThosL

Personally I'm not going to live anywhere they are charging me a "property tax" on personally owned items.

Does Idaho have property tax on real estate? 

It does seem nutty to have some of the additional taxes. The additional departments, staffing, systems, building, utilities in every county to keep track of various taxes seems ludicrous.  If they choose 1 or 5 forms of taxation, we know politicians are all making excellent decisions for budgets and spending, so that's comforting.  LMAO

city of Dallas had property tax on cars (boats too?) until sometime in the 90s. I think some Counties in Texas have it - one in the panhandle - it's on newer cars only but supposedly can be $400 !

interesting; http://taxfoundation.org/article/states-moving-away-taxes-tangible-personal-property

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan